New Project. Chuck Back Plate.

I use HSS tool blanks for small parallels all the time. You have to check the Chinese ones for size, they vary.

Greg
Ya I've done that before. Didn't think of it this time...
Actually, I'm getting 4 nice, brand new 3/8 hss blank tool bits. Was planning on making a nice set of lathe tools for the qctp

Okay... here we go...
I hogged off the corners to save time and work.
I drilled the center hole, drilled and tapped holes and mounted the plate on my 5" 3 jaw back plate.
Faced it and started rounding it out... slow process... the material is hard. I have a cobalt 3/8" tool bit and I burnt it out. Changed to a carbide and so far so good.

What is the best tooling to use on hot rolled?

...when I put my band saw away... the shelf in the cabinet fell down..... I swiftly solved that problem by quickly and firmly closing the door!

IMAG0782.jpg

IMAG0784.jpg

IMAG0785.jpg

IMAG0783.jpg

What kind of speeds should I be focusing on with hot rolled? Faster or slower?

You should be turning fairly slowly with that interrupted cut... once it cleans up, you can probably bump the speed up a little. The interrupted cut combined with too much speed can be rough on any kind of tooling.

I'm not home now, but I think it's about 700 rpm. That second pulley on front gears seems to be my go to speed.

Under 200 rpm would be more in line for HSS, till it got round I'd be at about 100. Carbide will want faster, but not till you get it round.
I prefer HSS for cold roll, if its harder then switch to carbide.

Greg

I'm at 700ish rpm using a big 1/2" carbide bit and it seems to be handling it reasonably well. If I try to cut too deep it stalls the lathe. So, it's a long slow laborious process that's making one hell of a mess... I'm considering rigging up my shop vac and just sucking the chips off as they cut... but that'll probably start a fire inside the vacuum. Lol

Sweet Jesus... this is the slowest process in the world...
I have the overall diameter turned down and now I'm facing off the material to form the collar that butts into the spindle face. I'm planing on taking off about .500". Turning at about 125 rpm with a 1/2" carbide bit. The max it'll let me take off in a pass is about .030". Slooooowwwwww.....

Patience Patience ...... I turned down a 8" od 1 1/2" thick plate that was about 3/4 " out of round after it had been cut with a torch . And i also just finished making a back plate for my 6" 4 jaw out of cast iron messy job lol. Once you've knocked the high points off speed up the lathe and use carbide tool with a new cutter make a world of difference . Threading and getting the register right will be the challenge for you . I actually made a dummy tread and register on a bit of stock so i could test fit as i was going along . Threads are important but you can get away with being a tad lose on the thread but it's the register that's the important bit to get spot on.

Good luck

Sean

Back