New Project. Chuck Back Plate.

Progress.

Boring out the center hole.

My lovely wife bought me a new CCMT boring bar for Christmas (my request, how the hell would she know otherwise?) Stupid me, wrote 3/8" on the list instead of 5/8". Oops... maybe I'll use it for smaller holes if I ever need to.

IMAG0791.jpg

IMAG0788.jpg

I got told to come inside... I guess 1am IS pretty late......

IMAG0794.jpg

Doing this in steel would've been a toughy .... good job :)... Funnily enough I gave my wife a couple of side notes too nothing ever came of it ..... :congratulate:

Okay ladies.
I'm done machining the back plate. Really nice fit into the back of the chuck.
Next step is to drill the bolt holes. However, the bolt holes in the chuck are not through holes so I cannot use a center drill hole punch. What's a good method to scribe out those blind holes into the back plate?

IMAG0795.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh great idea! I have a bunch of those for wood. I can make up a few for this. Right on.

I was trying to find some references either on this site or a tool catalog to a similar product, but could not.
They are basically a piece of threaded rod, but with a centre point on one end and a allen-key hex hole on the other end.
(that allen drive won't help with your blind holes though)
They are used exactly like the dowel centres, but would actually thread into the chuck holes, and be a little adjustable by changing the insertion depth.
-brino

Back