New project for pidjones - a Triumph this time

Finally have the house cooled down after two days of no power. Mounted new kick, gear change and center stand rubbers. Mounted footpeg rubbers on stems and the plate for the left footpeg/engine mount then the footpeg stem. Mounted and connected the footbrake peddle and adjusted it. Bike is over against workbench to permit squeezing down the left side to get by and work on it. Will have to move it over for mounting right side plate and peg, plus get to the lathe to spin out a couple footpeg locating pins for the right side.

The tank is setting bolted to the WorkMate waiting for Bondo, just too humid to work on it outside. Rubbers and studs came in for mounting it. Tried some test fitting, and the front of the seatpan will need massaged a bit with a rubber mallet to clear the rear tank mount.

Inspiring progress.
Thanks. I'd like to have seen more, but recent storms knocking down trees, powerm and making outside work impossible have slowed me fown. And, the heat/storms combo have really curtailed this summer's riding! Still, the footrests are all mounted now (the only machining required was cutting a couple .250 x .5 pins for locating the footrest peg on one side). Rear brake adjusted and switch installed.

Rain forecast is 70% for this week, so before it starts I need to go cut and chip some more downed trees. Would love to sand blast the chrome from fenders and Bondo the tank, but it will be too humid to prevent flash rust before etcing primer goes on.

Maybe I should be more patient. Drug the hand sand blaster, garnet sand, rear fender and air hoses outside yesterday. Blasted off any rust and roughed-up the chrome for the primer to be able to bite in. Hung the fender from a tree limb and quickly wiped with isopropyl and then sprayed with rattle-can etching primer. Started on the front fender and the sand started plugging up in the gun. Discovered the compresdor was starting to spit air. I had closed the garage door so the cimpresdor was drawing in (hopefully) primarily air that had been dried out by the AC, but it wasn't enough. I use the system so seldom that it doesn't seem woth while to go through much to dry the air (although I admit the tank shouls be drained more regularly). Anyway, one fender primed, the other will need either hand or DA sanded. Or, wait until after Barber before humidity levels drop here. I was hoping to use that period for color and clear.

Wondering about the joint in the rear fender. It has an original front ~1/2 and a Chinabay rear joined with pop-rivets. Seems a plenty strong joint with ~1.5" overlap, and all up under the seat. Just wonder if I should attempt to smooth it a bit with Bondo or just let it be.

Sounds like your making good progress considering your weather. I would just leave the fender as it won't be seen, and the bondo would probably just crack at the riveted joint anyway from vibration. Mike

Tank is now rust-free inside. Two gallons of vinegar, resting in all positions, and five feet of sash chain shaken around. About 24 hours total soak time and it is impressive how nice it looks inside now. Three fresh water flushes and a fourth with a cup of baking soda, filled to the brim, and left to soak. Then a final rinse and drying with vacuum cleaner pulling a vacuum on the main fill spout while air is drawn in through the petcock holes. Lowering the pressure in the tank dries it pretty fast, and can be judged by the tank getting cool until the water evaporates, then it warms. Dumped in about 1/3rd quart of 2T oil and sprayed with fogging oil, sealed it all up, rolled to make sure all had 2T inside, and put it away until paint is aquired and all tins ready for color.

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk

Maybe you've covered it elsewhere and I've missed/forgotten it, but what's "2T oil"?

Back