New project for pidjones - a Triumph this time

Another day, another three hours worrying a ring free of its groove. Second compression ring on #3 cylinder today. At least they are all free on #2. And, the jugs are on, bottom nuts on (not torqued yet), #2 con rod still needs to be attached to the crank. Sure glad I am in no hurry on this.

Always something, isn't it?
Ring stick with dried engine muck? Or groove too narrow for the ring?

Muck, debris, or maybe even rust - hard to say with these old discolored cast iron rings. Didn't want to use anything that might remove metal, so rubbed them lightly with Scotchbrite. Ran a dab of it through the groove and it's all good now. Just another sign of the neglect and abuse this engine has suffered. The jugs are on now and the next step us buttoning up the bottom of #2 rod, then torquing the case base nuts and starting head mounting with the freshly annealed copper gasket and Hondabond 4 around the dowels. Then the rocker boxes, they might need some lapping on their base. Have Covseal gaskets for them. And I'm pretty sure the covers are going to need helicoils for the cover bolts.

Of course, along with all of that getting the PRTs to seal (plenty of write-ups on that-it seldom goes easy) and positioning the rods properly.

Looking forward to the GL1000. I feel more comfortable with them, and they are a much more robust machine with superior engineering and manufacture. Just make sure you only use JIS screwdrivers!

Well, it is all back together (at least, as much as I had it before the "leak fix and other joys" period). Of course, the weather picks this week to demonstrate why I refer to this as the "rain forests of East Tennessee".

Sound good. Good oil flow as well... Coming along great!!

Sorry for no recent progess reports. Wheels are off for new tires to be mounted but still waiting for the front to come in. Also nursing an infected prostate that has me almost fully laid up.

Back