New project for pidjones - a Triumph this time

If I develop a leak, I will use a POR15 kit (clean, etch, coat). Worked great on my '76 RD400. I would not allow Kreem near it. Kreem is soluble in acetone, which pops up in several fuel treatments. My first rescue - a '78 GL1000 - had been treated with Kreem which had to be removed. A couple gallons of acetone, a week of rolling the can around, and it all poured out.

Hope that all is avoided, however.

Guess I'll have to dispose of the Kreem and try something else next time.
Seems it was pretty much the only show in town back when. Mike

Put about a gallon in the tank and checked for petcock leaks, which happened so I drained the tank and applied heavy Teflon tape to the threads. The, re-installed with new "Dowty" washers and tightened up. Put the petrol back in and waiting overnight to make sure.

After early morning heavy rain, had to wait until about 2pm for the driveway to dry. Backed the Spyder out of the way, then the T150 with oil tank refilled and battery topped off with the tender. Turned the fuel on and heavily tickled all three carbs. Never got fuel squirting out of any. Tried kicking off but of course nothing doing. Not going to over-do it on this arthritic knee, so rolled all back in. I would have investigated further, but just as I was pulling my boots on to back it out, the power went out so there was no lighting to work. I suspect that I cut the new fuel lines too short and they are pinching off where they bend from the filters to the carbs. Power wasn't back until 9pm. Had quite a bit of wind.

Man, I'm out-of-shape! Finally got it started by draining the tank and float bowls, starting it on my aux tank with fresh fuel, then after warming it, put a gallon or two in the tank, started on the aux tank then switched over and it kept running on the regular tank. Suspect there was combination of fogging and 2-stroke oil plus old gas in the tank. After draining and filling with fresh 100% gasoline (87 octane), it was Ok. Only rode it up the hill ~50 yards (rather steep, but concrete), then down the street another ~50 yards, and finally back around behind the house (very steep and curved). Wanted mainly to check clutch (needed 1/2 turn on the cable adjustment screw) and brakes (worked, but every bike I've had since 1972 has been hydraulic disk-I'm spoiled). Worst part is getting used to left foot brake, right foot shift. I never got it out of first, however. By the time we pulled up behind the house, I was beat. Combination of physical stress (dozens of kicks before she finally ran) and mental (the left-right foot thing had me primarily using the front brake). It will get easier with time.

Man!!! I am so happy you got to ride it a bit after all the work you put in.
And yeah; that first ride of the year will definitely shake the "winter rust" off a man.

Decided to swap out the plugs, and the new Champion just spun in the hole on #1 cylinder. I had corrected a serious cross-thread and strip on this last summer, but it seems that was just temporary. With #1 plug threads repaired, but it still isn't starting. Suspect I've washed the remaining 2T oil from the tank. The fuel drained from the bowls had no particles, but was pretty dark. It will be drained again and fresh 100% gasoline put in. Might even do a restart on the auxiliary tank. Thought it might be wise to check the carbs clean again and found one port plugged (the small one AFTER the slide on #1 carb) AND a 180 main jet in #3. Needes, neddle jets, and slides are all correct. Had to have been done by a PO, because I don't have any other Amal parts. Ordered from Vintage Triumph Parts so should be in by the end of the week. Hope so, because I have plans to take it to a church car and bike show on Saturday. I'll go ahead and reassemble up to installing the bowls.

Finally had it started for a bit today. All valve clearances had tightened up. I'll need to keep an eye on that. I had set them carefully. Don't see how the valves could have receded that much in the little that I've run it. At least it has all 150 main jets in it now. The key switch that I had changed to (the old one was shot) keeps turning OFF when bumped by my leg. I have another (different style) ordered.

Sure you already know there’s a hot and cold valve setting

Back