New project for pidjones - a Triumph this time

Any engine that relies on oil circulation, that stuff can get into oil passages and clog them up. Also, people who use it instead of gaskets tend to slather it on like a 3-year-old with toothpaste.

View attachment 387056

John
We have seen similar examples on previous repairs done outside the dealership..

My first rescue, a '78 GL1000 with '75 engine, had high temp RTV on the valve cover gaskets. I meticulously picked it all off (I thought), but a piece smaller than a BB had apparently alread made it into the oil passages past the filter that a PO had rendered useless by installing the spring on the wrong side. It lodged somewhere and lurked until this summer, when it entered the oil stream and lodged in the flow restrictor for the right head, totally stopping flow there. The center cam bearing seized and snapped the cam in half. #1 cylinder continued to fire and the bike ran another ~1/4 making no unusual noise but down on power. Finally stopped when the float bowls emptied (fuel pump run from the back end of the right cam). An ebay head and cam with my valves transferred over put it back on the road.

I am very carefully flushing all oil passages in this engine.

Also was curious why the high-temp RTV hate? I use it exclusively for the side covers on modern motors (stator, clutch, and timing covers). I do not use in conjunction with a gasket and don't slather it on - only a thin bead and proper install sequence (finger tight, torque after 24hr).

Also was curious why the high-temp RTV hate? I use it exclusively for the side covers on modern motors (stator, clutch, and timing covers). I do not use in conjunction with a gasket and don't slather it on - only a thin bead and proper install sequence (finger tight, torque after 24hr).
A quick way to ruin an engine if any of it gets free into the oil stream. There are many other uses for HT RTV, and there are non-HT RTV sealants such as Hondabond, Yamabond that are designed for joints that are designed to be sealed with them. RD400 case joint comes to mind. Rubber sealed and gasketed joints are not, and bypassing gasket use on a joint designed for it can result in failures due to the design stack heights that include gaskets. GL1000 front transmission cover has to be installed with the correct thickness gasket or it won't change gears. HT RTV is fine for exhaust (done it myself) but get a bit in the oil system and it can be a real problem

Yep, I get the fact that letting boogers plug up oil passages can have bad result. Hondabond and Yamabond are also silicone-based vulcanizing similar to RTV. Is there really a material difference between HT and non-HT for purposes of something like a clutch cover? I get the fact that certain assemblies that have very specific clearances or are flat-out incompatible with RTV (e.g. a head gasket, fuel pump gasket, etc...)

While I don't have troubles with RTV, that Hylomar looks interesting. By non-setting: that means it stays a liquid, yes? Looks like it has more applications than RTV. If you guys recommend that product I'd definitely give it a shake!

[edit] - answered my own question after looking at the spec sheet. Ordering some Hylomar to give it a try. If it works better: thanks!

Yep, I get the fact that letting boogers plug up oil passages can have bad result. Hondabond and Yamabond are also silicone-based vulcanizing similar to RTV. Is there really a material difference between HT and non-HT for purposes of something like a clutch cover? I get the fact that certain assemblies that have very specific clearances or are flat-out incompatible with RTV (e.g. a head gasket, fuel pump gasket, etc...)

While I don't have troubles with RTV, that Hylomar looks interesting. By non-setting: that means it stays a liquid, yes? Looks like it has more applications than RTV. If you guys recommend that product I'd definitely give it a shake!

[edit] - answered my own question after looking at the spec sheet. Ordering some Hylomar to give it a try. If it works better: thanks!

Depends on the surface... Some cars that I have worked on, only use Loctite 574...

The message really is... if the part has a gasket... get it and use it. Do not try to get by using a sealant when the proper gasket is available.

Last edited:
Hylomar was recommended to me for case-to-case work on my old BMW, worked fine. Two machined mating surfaces with no actual gasket involved, by design.
It's like jelly and doesn't cure. No replacement for a gasket, but could be useful for things that you have to pull apart frequently.

Decided this was definitely going to require engine out of the frame, even if not a full tear-down (not decided on that yet). So, today I pulled it onto a furniture dolly so I can roll it around the garage. Pretty dicey for an old man by myself, but it went Ok in the long run. Might be a different story going back in.
IMG_20211206_134016146.jpg
IMG_20211206_134029938.jpg
IMG_20211206_134739674.jpg
IMG_20211206_142013862.jpg

Back