New project for pidjones - a Triumph this time

No master link? What brand and who supplied/manufactured the chain?
That is the way that I picked it up from the PO. Quite a few things were missing. The chain feels and measures Okay though, even though it is filthy. Has already been through one kerosene bath and will get another soon (now that it is warm enough to take the smell outside). I have no idea of the chain's manufacture.

Years ago, here-abouts we had an enterprising fellow buy industrial chains in 25 foot rolls. Sold lengths cheap. Didn't hold up for some of us "enthusiastic" riders. I learned. Motorcycle chain for motorcycles.

Well, looking back at photos of it from last year, the chain WAS on it. So, where did it go? Not in the boxes that I had stored parts away in. Not in the bottom of the Folgers can that is used for kerosene soaking. Not in the plastic bag that the chain was stored in. Oh well, new one should be here next week and I have lots of wiring to do.

Converting to negative ground with modern reg/rect and Honda wiring colors (also using GL1000 left handlebar switch and headlamp assembly). Please don't tell the guys on the Triumph forums (primarily British folks) of my blasphemy! Starting from a complete color-coded wiring diagram should help prevent confusion for future trouble shooting. I am keeping the Lucas Zener however - as a "hood ornament".

Well, looking back at photos of it from last year, the chain WAS on it. So, where did it go? Not in the boxes that I had stored parts away in. Not in the bottom of the Folgers can that is used for kerosene soaking. Not in the plastic bag that the chain was stored in. Oh well, new one should be here next week and I have lots of wiring to do.

Converting to negative ground with modern reg/rect and Honda wiring colors (also using GL1000 left handlebar switch and headlamp assembly). Please don't tell the guys on the Triumph forums (primarily British folks) of my blasphemy! Starting from a complete color-coded wiring diagram should help prevent confusion for future trouble shooting. I am keeping the Lucas Zener however - as a "hood ornament".
Ah, Lucas! The "Prince of Darkness"...Lucas also makes refrigerators which is why the English drink warm beer. (Apologies to our English brethren).

Fiddled with putting in new wiring for the points, gapping them, and doing an initial timing. Then, turned a 5k Ohm plug cap into a non-resistor cap with a section of copper wire. I had thought that my voils had interior opens even though I could fire a plug with them by manually supplying and removing 12 Volts. Discovered it was just terrible corrosion and dirt covering the HV contacts. Cleaned that up and finished connecting the plug wires. Next is the harness from the back of the engine to the coils and condensers. But straining leaning over that all day is encouraging me to rest my back today - by digging a hole and setting a 6x6 for a clothesline - wife's requested Mother's Day gift.

Interesting thread, been following along. What's the latest?

Interesting thread, been following along. What's the latest?
Still wiring and gathering parts/fitting what I have. Found a front fender from an unifentified bike and yesterday tapped on it a bit to fit it on the T150. Was surprised at how perfectly it fit around the fork slider tops and boots with just a few blows against the anvil (old chunk of railroad track). Still needs chrome removed so that it can be painted.

It's wired enough that it could probably be rolled out and attempts to start made. Busy month though, just returned from family vacation and this month has anniversary, wife's birthday, several shows and other commitments (still need to spend a few days at church re-striping the parking lot).

My points setting box works well. Just a small project box with 9V battery, switch, resistor, LED, buzzer, couple clip leads. This way I don't have to watch for when the points open/close (my hearing doesn't allow use of the continuity function on my DVM). So, points are timed, coils tested, wiring to that completed (all now negative ground). I've stripped down an old GL1000 harness to use wiring and some connectors from it. No wiring completed in the headlight shell, but all necessary wires to it are run. Putting bullet connectors in the tank tunnel on each lead for rework/removal/troubleshooting access. Using connectors from Vintage Connections, that I've used many times before. Also the reg/rect from Sparck Moto their sister company. I will drill 1/4" holes for LEDs in the GL1000 headlight shell for turn, hi beam, and lo oil indicators. Oil pressure switch wiring will probably be run today. One of the front oil galley bolts is swapped for an adapter to 1/8" SS tubing running up the front frame rail to the headstock. There a union joins it to nylon tubing leading to a pressure gauge mounted to the handlebar clamp bolts.

It isn't going to be very "pretty". Some PO painted the fins with a remarkably tough paint that has resisted solvents, wire brushes, scrapers. But of course, 50% of it is chipped off. I've gone as far on that as I care to unless the engine has to come back out for full rebuild. Another PO issue was a cross-threaded spark plug hole. NGK spark plug thread chaser and about 20 minutes of patient work seems to have that corrected. A few cable ends needed ferrule adapters made for their outer jackets - an old brass stud and the lathe provided those.

Also slowing progress the last month was having three motorcycles, a Spyder, our furnace, and the washer and dryer all in our barely one-car basement garage (that hasn't seen a car in several decades). Finally moved outdoor power equipment around in the sheds so one bike could be moved out to join the tractors. The '78 GL1000 gets attention today though. It will go to an American Legion bike show Saturday, so needs a good clean & polish.

Once things are cleared out enough, I'll take a picture of present progress.

Last edited:
Still in disarray, but making progress. Wiring is completed to everything except lights and kill switch. Front fender mounted, but needs to be lowered about 1/2". Don't know what it is off of - ebay bargain find. BTW, the aluminum pan has not caught any drips (yes, a Triumph not leaking is a problem), but has worked remarkably well catching dropped tools and parts!
e06fd1986b95001ee92cb406be931709.jpg

Wiring for the engine is completed including a handlebar Run/Stop switch. I have spark on all three plugs and the oil pressure LED is ON (hopefully to go out IF it starts) with the key ON. It has rained all morning, so will wait until the concrete dries off out back before rolling out, hooking up the fuel bottle, and giving it some kicks.

Hooked up the aux bottle and tried to get some response from her. Kicked long enough (three sessions) to turn the oil pressure light off, but no joy. 80F and humid is hard on this nearing 70 year-old couch potato doing that! Rolled it back in to think, regroup, cool off. Then I remembered - how hard would it be to start at full advance? Yeah, I'd left the washer on the points cam. Tomorrow is a new day, and the rear fender extension finally arrived from China! Looks like very close to a perfect fit.

Back