New Project - Hardinge BB4 Horizontal Mill

Stuck it mostly together. I think I like the color.
Still waiting on that thrust bearing.

IMG_5188.JPGIMG_5189.JPGIMG_5190.JPG

IMG_5188.JPG IMG_5189.JPG IMG_5190.JPG

It was a treat looking at your sweet little jewel. What a beauty! Thanks for sharing!

Best regards, Gary

While I wait on that bearing, I am looking around for a suitable cabinet to mount it on. I have an Enco mill-drill cabinet, but it's a little low for this machine. HF offers a neat tool chest what is tall and narrow, but they won't sell it separately.
Then I will need to work in motorizing it. I have a 1-HP 3-phase motor and a compatible VFD, so that's the plan.
Supposedly the seller may possibly have retained the motor, pulley and mounting frame. If so that will greatly simplify the drive system. Otherwise I will have to build something.

looking beautiful! I love the colour - it's a bit more subtle than the one I'm using :)

The knee leadscrew thrust bearing was locked up solid. i could neither free it up nor find a replacement. It measured 9.67mm bore, 21mm OD, and 9mm thick. I found an open thrust bearing (caged balls, upper race, lower race in 3 pieces) with 10mm bore, 9mm thick, 22mm diameter. 10 for $48.64 shipped from China. Those came in yesterday, which let me complete the knee.
The original thrust bearing was shield, the replacement is open to the elements (chips). So I turned a cup to fit over it to protect it from chips.

IMG_5226.jpg
IMG_5227.jpgIMG_5228.jpg

So I am basically done with this until I find a suitable cabinet/stand and fabricate a drive system. I am still holding out that the previous owner may have kept the OE parts. But I am happy with the result thus far.

IMG_5231.jpg
IMG_5230.jpg
IMG_5232.jpg

I've now seen several vises broken like this, including mine. Must have been all too common. Per the information I found here, and in the attached, the screw is to compensate for slide wear.

Attachments

• Hardinge_BB4_Mill_Bulletin.pdf
    6 MB · Views: 7
Back