New QCTP and Stand for the old 101-07403

DaveInHouston

Registered
Registered
I spent most of the weekend working on my “new” 12” Atlas Craftsman. Last week I ordered an All Industrial (Chinese obviously) AXA quick change tool post set from Amazon for $162.00. I read the reviews and this set got high marks. I agree with them. A couple of comments: The AXA size is just right for the 12” lathe IMHO. Any bigger would have been too big. The set appears well made and everything fits well. It took about 45 minutes to cut down the base plate to fit the A/C and about 2 minutes to “reclock” the handle. It is a huge improvement over the lantern post holder. Much more solid and quicker to setup.
My second project was to get the lathe off the temporary stand and onto something more stable and permanent. I wanted a set of the original cast legs but they’re WAY too pricey on EBay. I bought a wood stand from Harbor Freight on sale for $119.00. I bought one just like it a few years ago to use as a reloading station and they’re solid. Just for good measure I reinforced it with 3/4” plywood underneath and on the back and a couple of other places. I screwed & glued (Gorilla glue....got it all over me!) two 2x4s full length underneath the top. Then contact glued and screwed 18 ga galvanized plate onto the top. Nothing fancy but it should do.

CF41E775-EE0E-4ADE-8FDC-AF23CBD4D85F.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice job on your setup. Just got an atlas with no tool post. Am looking at one like yours.

Back