New Radius Turner

GarageGuy

Active User
Registered
I finished my radius turner project today, and got video of my first try using it. I saw the design on-line and liked it, so I decided to make my own. I made it to mount in a AXA, BXA, or CXA QCTP so it can be used on different machines simply by adjusting the center height on the tool post.

I used .500 steel plate for the frame. I know... massive overkill... but I had a piece laying around. I welded the frame instead of bolting it like the one I saw on-line. No particular reason, just to be different. My original design used ball shoulder bearings for the swivel, but to my disappointment, there was too much play. Maybe a preload issue? I took them out and turned a bronze bushing that worked much better and held a tighter tolerance. The cutter is a VCMT carbide insert that seemed to cut very smoothly.

GG

IMAG1315.jpg IMAG1316.jpg IMAG1318.jpg IMAG1319.jpg

Here is a video of the first radius:

Beautifully functional tool.
-brino

I gotta admire your courage for taping (and sharing) your first attempt. I'd have tried it several times, to make sure it didn't screw up.

Awesome. Where did you see this design originally?

There is a company that sells them on eBay. Too pricey for me, but an excellent project. I had looked at several different designs, and decided this one was the most practical one for me.

GG

Well add another tool to build . I like this one from all the others I've seen on YouTube. This will be an easier build over the yoke styles . Pluses the way this works looks like making oblong balls or tapered ones will be quickly learned to do.

Back