New Sherline Lathe Cutting Tool Recommendations Needed.

Thanks for the information. I have been looking at the A2z on for a while, Also thanks for the information on 3/8 HSS, I may try your key stock idea and try to cut some, H have made some specialized bits out of drill rod, and made special holders to hold them in the standard Sherline holders. Was doing some fine work on some real thing stuff for the wife. (she does lace and needed things made) The stuff ALum kept breaking off with the large tools, so used 1/8 drill rod to make the tools was able to do it. Think of turning Alum around 1/16 in thick, inch and 1/2 long with a 1/4 inch head on one end and 1/4 inch contoured shaft on the other.

Try a knife tool for the thin stuff - works pretty good.

I totally forgot to add that a QCTP on a Sherline lathe will tend to spin in use; not always but all of mine did at some point. This is probably due to the tiny T-nut used on this lathe - it does not allow adequate pressure to fully lock down the post. I was not the only one with this problem; many others also complained of it. The fix was to cut a shallow bore into the bottom of the post, leaving an intact rim of about 1/4". I didn't want to modify my post so I attached a 1/4" thick brass spacer to the bottom of my posts with countersunk flat head screws and bored the brass piece instead of the post itself. This mod allows for very heavy cuts without the post spinning.

If you run into the spinning thing with your post, give this one a try. Since doing this I have not had the post spin once.

Mike,

Could you post a photo of your modification? I am having a hard time visualizing what you did.

I made some longer t-nuts that allow me to crank down a bit harder on the tool post securing bolt. This seems to have helped me.

Cheers,

Tom

This was a common issue. Many guys think the problem arises due to distortion of the T-slot by the nut. Here is one guy's take on it that will give you an idea of what I meant:

http://www.borisbrooks.com/shop/qctp.htm

On mine, I screwed a 1/4" thick brass plate on the bottom of my tool post with 2 flat head countersunk screws and cut a relief in that instead of the base. The process is otherwise the same. I made the base plate then took it off and chucked it in the 4 jaw and cut the relief, then screwed it back on. Hasn't slipped yet.

Back