New shop build -- photo intensive thread, warning!

Sweet G&E. I see it has the automatic down feed. A much desired feature. I wish mine had it.
Has the auto tool-lifter too, though I'm not sold it's anything more than a gimmick -- I kind of like the slapping clapper box sound!

Has the auto tool-lifter too, though I'm not sold it's anything more than a gimmick -- I kind of like the slapping clapper box sound!
It is more than a gimmick. It prevents the tool from dragging across your work and causing marks as well as protecting the tool tip.

However, if you really don't like that, you can always send the scraper my way. JK

It is more than a gimmick. It prevents the tool from dragging across your work and causing marks as well as protecting the tool tip.

However, if you really don't like that, you can always send the scraper my way. JK
Oh yea, I know its true purpose, but personally I've never seen it affect surface finish, and always figured with back rake on the tool, I'm bouncing the back corner of the bit off of the work, not the cutting edge. I'll have to tune up the lifter and give it a real shot

Love the Bota ! :encourage:
We love it too. Got it 2 falls ago after we moved in; the missus wanted something to help clear and maintain the trail network she's building in our woods, and it proved invaluable for lugging logs, digging stumps and footings, laying driveway stone, utility trenching, etc. Would have spend a few thousand on rentals, so it saved us that, does much more, and we get to keep it!

I like the parallel EMT for future/flexible wiring, I may copy that for my 3 phase from my RPC.

Do you have a way to hoist stuff up into the loft area? I know you said it would be the lighter woodworking equipment but some of that can still be a little heavier than I would want to carry up steps, you may be a bit more agile.
Do NOT have a hoist. I kicked around replacing one of the 2nd floor gable windows with a door and a yardarm, but for now at least, decided I don't need it. The Jet cabinet saw is the heaviest machine, and I drop the motor and table top off, and the heaviest piece is then about 200# and was easy to get up there with an appliance dolly and a buddy's help.

Very nice space, and well put together. The only thing I would have done differently, would have been to go with a full second story. Pretty cheap additional s.f., and we never seem to have enough of that.
I kicked that around for a little while in the design phase, but it would have made the building look massive, and neither my wife nor I wanted that. The 2nd floor was really the only compromise I needed to make, so I have no complaints!

Based on the current inventory, I monkeyed around in Sketchup and came up with the layout below. The Xed out areas are the additional clear space(s) I need to open drawers, get in drawbars, etc.... layout.PNG

The maple woodworking bench is currently a dumping/sorting ground, will eventually get replaced with a homemade metal bench I imagine and the wooden bench will go upstairs.
PXL_20220226_214937976.jpg

I'll be putting the 1959 BP J-head, Logan, Leblond and B&S grinder up on 4-5" riser feet; but for the time being, 4x4s are cribbing the mill up to a really nice working height.
PXL_20220226_214933201.jpg

Shaper corner. 1950 Atlas 7b and a 1954 G&E 20-24" Industrial. The rotary phase converter is on a small wooden pallet beneath the stairs (no pictures, strangely enough).
PXL_20220226_214930962.jpg

This spring/summer I'm planning pouring a pad off of the back of the shop, and putting up a shed roof to shelter the Kubota (and some material racks I have for stock). The air compressor and rotophase are both likely to be moving out there too. The back wall will get a little less-crowded when the compressor moves out. The downstairs 24K BTU mini-split head unit is in this picture; there's a 12K head on the 2nd floor. I over-bought a little and got a 4-zone outdoor unit, so if the 24K isn't up to the task (it should be, it's been running all winter through the really cold spells and surprisingly seemed way more than enough heating).
PXL_20220226_214925137.jpg

1949 LeBlond Dual Drive 15x40, and the 1960 Logan model 1957H 11x36 (blue) in the background
PXL_20220226_214914516.jpg

Dake 1 3/4 press and a nice Swiss Weidmann press
PXL_20220226_214909054.jpg

1975ish KO Lee model BA960 tool & cutter grinder, and a 1928 Brown & Sharpe #2 surface grinder
PXL_20220226_214903499.jpg

Delta triple-duty grinder, Clausing variable speed drill press, a Taiwanese Orbit drill press (with a tapping head), Baldor grinder, and a Delta carbide grinder (behind the straw mat)
PXL_20220226_214857815.jpgPXL_20220226_214852524.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20220226_145803556.jpg
    PXL_20220226_145803556.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 9
Based on the current inventory, I monkeyed around in Sketchup and came up with the layout below. The Xed out areas are the additional clear space(s) I need to open drawers, get in drawbars, etc.... View attachment 398215

The maple woodworking bench is currently a dumping/sorting ground, will eventually get replaced with a homemade metal bench I imagine and the wooden bench will go upstairs.
View attachment 398227

I'll be putting the 1959 BP J-head, Logan, Leblond and B&S grinder up on 4-5" riser feet; but for the time being, 4x4s are cribbing the mill up to a really nice working height.
View attachment 398226

Shaper corner. 1950 Atlas 7b and a 1954 G&E 20-24" Industrial. The rotary phase converter is on a small wooden pallet beneath the stairs (no pictures, strangely enough).
View attachment 398225

This spring/summer I'm planning pouring a pad off of the back of the shop, and putting up a shed roof to shelter the Kubota (and some material racks I have for stock). The air compressor and rotophase are both likely to be moving out there too. The back wall will get a little less-crowded when the compressor moves out. The downstairs 24K BTU mini-split head unit is in this picture; there's a 12K head on the 2nd floor. I over-bought a little and got a 4-zone outdoor unit, so if the 24K isn't up to the task (it should be, it's been running all winter through the really cold spells and surprisingly seemed way more than enough heating).
View attachment 398224

1949 LeBlond Dual Drive 15x40, and the 1960 Logan model 1957H 11x36 (blue) in the background
View attachment 398223

Dake 1 3/4 press and a nice Swiss Weidmann press
View attachment 398222

1975ish KO Lee model BA960 tool & cutter grinder, and a 1928 Brown & Sharpe #2 surface grinder
View attachment 398221

Delta triple-duty grinder, Clausing variable speed drill press, a Taiwanese Orbit drill press (with a tapping head), Baldor grinder, and a Delta carbide grinder (behind the straw mat)
View attachment 398220View attachment 398219
I’ve been dying to find a clausing drill press like that. They are either outrageous high or impossible to find.
Really nice on all your build. You really did a great job. I enjoyed reading through the thread and wish I had the knowledge you had. In struggling as it is running all the wiring to my new garage.

Back