New shop helper

I have a rescue that will not, will NOT, go into the shop. I'm thinking the cement-floored out-building reminds her too much of where she spent the first seven years of her life.

I have 3 cats in the house and the dog goes after them. I was told she was fine with cats.

Not sure ho to break her of doing that.

c1adfa58330f5f6c6d9c196b261f32a0.jpg

That is a tough one alloy with a new dog if there’s no other dogs in the house. Dogs have a prey drive and as soon as the cat runs you’ve lost coms with that dog unless you get really forceful. We had two cats that grew up around dogs so weren’t scared of them so didn’t run. So when the new dog ran up on them there was that moment where the dog was confused because the cat didn’t run and me making a point of getting in their face and saying no really struck home. Also our other dogs didn’t chase our cats so the whole rule book got hit home. If it’s a little dog all bets are off, that’s why I don’t have little dogs.

I have 3 cats in the house and the dog goes after them. I was told she was fine with cats.

Not sure ho to break her of doing that.

I had that problem. Local dog trainer was highly recommended by a friend. Trainer put the cat in a carrier, sliced up a hot dog and told me the dog would not touch the meat after training completed. Training involved expert use of a chain collar and years of experience. After 15 minutes I was able to walk the dog past the hot dog, but he would look away pretending it was not there and would not get too close to it either. Then she let the cat out and he ignored her too. It stayed that way all the years I had the cat and dog. I still can hardly believe it was possible, or how she did it , even though I watched the whole thing. She didn't even charge much .

I like the PPE on your dog. I'll see if I can get Sandie fitted for some :cool:

I'm looking into some training. Apparently Petco has some training but not information on what it covers. Today when we had company she decided to jump up on everyone. This is a new behavior for her. But we have only had her since Sunday, so it just may not have come out until now.

She is getting used to the shop now. As long as she can see me I'm good to about 15ft away from her until she runs after me. As soon as I leave her sight she's up and trying to find me.

A good trainer is worth their weight in gold. Our present rescue is the sweetest dog, was well trained but not at all socialized and was just terrified whenever we went for a walk. She just wanted to run everywhere and pulled no matter what I did and was crazy strong. After a walk I felt like I was beaten with a rubber hose! Her being a XL AmStaff she also was terrified of other dogs. One session with a good trainer and going to a Gentle Leader 99% of it was my wife and I. She is a wonderful dog and loves everybody but is still wary of dogs but never barks or causes trouble. If we’re calm she’s calm.

I'm not going to give up on her just yet. I love that she follows me everywhere I go. She will jump up on the couch and lay her head on my lap. We have only had her a few days but I think she realizes we are hers.

When one of us walks out of the house she whines, wants both of us there at the same time in her sight. I guess if I were left alone like she was I'd have separation anxiety also.

Last edited:
She is a sweetie.
My wife and I have had dogs since we were married. I had dogs growing up. This is the longest stretch without a dog. been since Spring 2018
I miss having a dog. Won't be long.
Thanks for sharing.

this best thing you can do for rescue dogs is be gentle and be unwavering in consistency in both tone of voice and command.
they are already out of sorts due to their past experiences, it may take a few weeks for them to adjust to their new home.
Food/Treats are an excellent way to start their training process, but it is best to taper off food/treats and shift to physical rewards over time.
a toy can be an essential tool as well, sometimes better than food- if the dog is not food motivated
just spending time with the animal, letting the dog be a dog for awhile, will teach you things about the habits of the dog.
observe how he interacts with the environment, is he fearful or inquisitive
if he is inquisitive, you'll have an easy time training
if he is fearful, you have some work to do. you may need help for another trained dog to make the rescue feel better about the training.
the second dog, will teach the rescue dog, things you can't relay
if the rescue sees another dog actin' right, he will follow suit.

congrats on the fine looking dog!

Back