New shop helper

this best thing you can do for rescue dogs is be gentle and be unwavering in consistency in both tone of voice and command.
they are already out of sorts due to their past experiences, it may take a few weeks for them to adjust to their new home.
Food/Treats are an excellent way to start their training process, but it is best to taper off food/treats and shift to physical rewards over time.
a toy can be an essential tool as well, sometimes better than food- if the dog is not food motivated
just spending time with the animal, letting the dog be a dog for awhile, will teach you things about the habits of the dog.
observe how he interacts with the environment, is he fearful or inquisitive
if he is inquisitive, you'll have an easy time training
if he is fearful, you have some work to do. you may need help for another trained dog to make the rescue feel better about the training.
the second dog, will teach the rescue dog, things you can't relay
if the rescue sees another dog actin' right, he will follow suit.

congrats on the fine looking dog!

I would totally agree. We had a female Cocker Spaniel several years ago that thought she was in charge of everything in her sight. I took her to a friends shop one day. When she jumped out of the truck she met one of the owners cats. She immediately barked at the cat and tried to chase her. The cat being raised with dogs not only wasn't afraid, she just sat there licking her paw. When my dog barked at her again the cat looked her in the eye and promptly swatted the dog on the nose with a sharp claw. The dog quickly learned that the cat was in charge, and shouldn't be messed with.

It took about half an hour to complete our business so the dog went into the garage to check things out. Noticing she was missing we both started a search. We found the dog still in the garage sleeping in a pile with half a dozen cats. Once she knew here place in the scheme of things there was no problem.

Whenever I went back to my friends shop I took the dog. When she jumped out of the truck she promptly searched out the cats. They either played together, or took a nap together. When the cat passed away the dog was in a funk for about a week. Meeting the cat was a bit of a double edged sword. From then on the dog thought all cats loved all dogs. She did meet many that were friendly, but there were a few that didn't want anything to do with a dog.

Our Fox Terrier ruled the roost. First time to have a terrier. Smart, energetic, mind reader, speaks English, we had to spell words so he wouldn't know what we were saying, seriously.
Great dogs.

We tried that as well. Unfortunately the dog could spell better than I could. Every time I misspelled a word I got a growl and a slap with a paw

Make sure you are the leader, and enforce it. Voice is all I need for discipline, if discipline is needed I go to the dog, I never call the dog to me for that.

Well we met with the trainer today. She had a lot of information for us. One was for us to get s "no pull" harness. So we did and its supposed to put pressure in her shoulders and be uncomfortable when she pulls hard on the leash. It didn't slow her down at all. $30 for nothing.

She also suggested a pet gate to deny her the run of the house. That's a privilege she has to earn. So we got a gate and she does not like it at all. We let the cats out and they are cautiously venturing out checking out the situation. They walk around the corner and stare at the dog. You can see one of them in this pic.

20200602_202426.jpg

Last edited:
The trainer I described in post #15 guaranteed results or she would return till we got them. Evidently she is so effective that she could make that offer and rarely have to return again. That's what sold me on her. She also suggested the no pull harness which we got. At first it did not work, so I called her up. She said the proper harness adjustment was critical. After some experimentation and use we had better results with it.

With one "large-in-body" but "young-in-mind" hound dog that loved to follow his nose, we had great success with a special leash/collar that had a loop around his nose. If he tried to pull on the leash it pulled his head down, we saw an immediate improvement in pulling the leash.
Once he learned not to just plow ahead, we could switch back.
-brino

similar to this one:
1591203989643.png

it was called something like "halter harness"

With one "large-in-body" but "young-in-mind" hound dog that loved to follow his nose, we had great success with a special leash/collar that had a loop around his nose. If he tried to pull on the leash it pulled his head down, we saw an immediate improvement in pulling the leash.
Once he learned not to just plow ahead, we could switch back.
-brino

similar to this one:
View attachment 326234

it was called something like "halter harness"
that is similar to the Gentle Leader except it has more straps. Pretty simple, you control their head, you have control and unlike a chain collar that chokes, the GL doesn’t choke even though it does go around their neck. Obviously our girl didn’t like it but she knew she had to wear it if she wanted to go for a walk. And she LOVES her walks and now I do. It’s really good for both of us. 1 to 1 1/2hrs in the morning and 45min in the evening. Gets that extra energy off them and for my dogs it’s such a big treat they love me for it. Which automatically makes them want to be good. It didn’t take long and she didn’t need the GL and is In a regular harness and is easy to control.

Back