New shop! (was: Multiple buildings, ...)

That’s some shop ! The garage at our new to us house has the 2 9x8’ garage doors facing almost dead south . It’s nice on warm days to be able to open the doors , glass in one section , south facings windows are nice , a plus if there’s enough overhang to keep the sun out during the summer . I’d be afraid of putting electric from the floors , I would want to keep my future options open and just have ceiling drops . Again thats me . Just thinking your have cranes so the electric would need to come another way ,
The main garage door is south facing.
I'm using floor rated, I think it's considered "mop safe" floor outlets. I'll need to be aware of where they are if I'm moving anything heavy, as you can't roll machines on pipe over them, or forklift wheels or skates. I have some overhead wiring in my current shop, but I'm not a fan of it for many things, even with just a rolling gantry crane it gets in the way. I'll want to finish the ceiling and insulate it, but I do intend to run a couple of conduits from the main to above the ceiling in case I see future need for ceiling drop wiring.

Last edited:
I love the bridge cranes. I don't love the in-floor electrical but, with the cranes, I understand the intention. My only suggestion regarding in-floor is to place additional conduits to additional box locations. Even though the additional MAY always remain unused, they are cheap enough to install and will serve to provide for rearrangement should it ever become desired. There is nothing as certain as change.

re cranes: The long term effects of cancer treatment have meant I struggle with loss of muscle mass, I used to be quite a bit stronger. As a result I look into the future and see the utility of not relying on muscle for much. I'm going to do top-running cranes to maximize lift and usable vertical clearance. While it isn't clear from the diagram I'm considering the use of common vertical supports for the parallel run in the center, but have to investigate that from a structural perspective. I can keep the unsupported span of the tracks limited to roughly 15' max. W12x16 looks like it works for both span and tracks. That's over 3200 lbs of steel, not going to be cheap. I'll keep my eyes open for a suitable second hand crane, but not hopeful.

Electrical: It's a bit of a trade off. The floor outlets alleviate cords that are trip points or outright obstructions for walking, but they create challenges in the floor for both layout of equipment, and for moving equipment as I wouldn't want to place more than a walking load on them (I think they are rated for more, but some of my machines, etc, exceed 4 tons.). editted to add: I haven't shown all wall outlets, just the bench height ones.

True, I agree on the air compressor and have thought of a small tin shed attached to that same corner. Sounds and safety are improved. That corner has a steep slope so it will require some dirt moving, but I have suitable equipment so that's not a real obstacle. The dust collector needs to recycle air from the shop to avoid heat/cooling loss. It would make more sense to locate the dust collector on the top side but that side of the building is very close to tilled field that I rent out. All of the grinding will be just to the left of the area marked stock & storage (SG is surface grinder). I had originally planned on a room mirroring the office but that reduces flexibility.

door size: I have a 10' wide door on another facility. I also have a nice sized tractor that can move my gooseneck trailer loaded down with 10 tons of hay. I don't have a problem using the tractor to back trailers into a 10' opening. The garage at the barns, which currently houses the Monarch 612 and the K&t 3K, has a 10x10 door. I would want a wider door if I had to rely only on a truck for backing in a trailer. As it is I think I'll prefer the usable wall space. That tractor also has a loader capable of lifting about 3500 lbs, so that is my "forklift" for light duty work. I'm going to have to rent something much bigger to move the larger equipment in.

Thanks for the suggestions - I know I'm discounting 2 of 3 but I'm still glad to get the comments.

Last edited:
Sequencing is a key reason for planning - so I currently have:
1) place floor outlets
2) concrete pour (by building contractor)
3) install electrical main and sub panel, rough wire lights
TBD) Install wood stove, gas heater, mini-splits (going to need some heat asap, but not all three)
4) seal concrete after 30 days
5) finish ceiling
6) install crane verticals and tracks.
7) frame out walls and divider
8) finish out wiring
9) finish out walls, build workbenches
10) start moving in equipment

Last edited:
I just found this thread. Good luck with everything. Tough time to build with everything going on.

I just found this thread. Good luck with everything. Tough time to build with everything going on.
I really wanted to start building last spring but waited for lumber to come down somewhat. Still cringing at costs.

Amish contractor lead came by to check the site yesterday. He gave it the go ahead, so still on track for January. I called for utility marking today, this weekend I’ll break out the excavator and trench in power lines to the meter, and water, gas and internet from the house.

<snip Thanks for the suggestions - I know I'm discounting 2 of 3 but I'm still glad to get the comments.

That's why we call it YOUR shop. In my shop I get to decide.

I'd like to discuss the in-floor electrical a little more.
It's my understanding that in-slab boxes and devices are crazy expensive. That's not particularly attractive, if you haven't already spent the money.
An alternative way to allow free travel of the bridge crane(s) would be to put electrical drops on jibs. The jib arms would swing just below the fixed crane support beams. I'm visualizing the jibs made of EMT with a 90° bend at both ends, longer vertical tube at the wall end and a brace (smaller EMT welded on? in compression) on the bottom to keep the jib as high a possible. The power cord (SEOOW or SOOW?) would run inside the conduit. You would probably want a Kellum strain relief at each drop. Kellums aren't cheap either but I've gotten quite a few off of eBay for very reasonable $$. The drops would be connected to equipment/panels with twist locks. You want to traverse the bridge? You just unplug the electrical drop(s) and swing the jib(s) out of the way.

Fire away. :grin:

That's why we call it YOUR shop. In my shop I get to decide.
Yep, but sharing ideas is what this forum is about, so I’m happy to chat.
I'd like to discuss the in-floor electrical a little more.
It's my understanding that in-slab boxes and devices are crazy expensive. That's not particularly attractive, if you haven't already spent the money.
An alternative way to allow free travel of the bridge crane(s) would be to put electrical drops on jibs. The jib arms would swing just below the fixed crane support beams. I'm visualizing the jibs made of EMT with a 90° bend at both ends, longer vertical tube at the wall end and a brace (smaller EMT welded on? in compression) on the bottom to keep the jib as high a possible. The power cord (SEOOW or SOOW?) would run inside the conduit. You would probably want a Kellum strain relief at each drop. Kellums aren't cheap either but I've gotten quite a few off of eBay for very reasonable $$. The drops would be connected to equipment/panels with twist locks. You want to traverse the bridge? You just unplug the electrical drop(s) and swing the jib(s) out of the way.

Fire away. :grin:
I have in hand 3 in-concrete floor boxes. Each box costs about $70, and holds two duplex outlets, so 4 total plugs.
Each box needs a metal cover, which is pricey $140. I haven’t purchased those yet. Don’t need those before pouring concrete.

My plan is to use a fair amount of wall outlets. I have one area, the lower left in my earlier sketch, where I will have an island of several machines with benches surrounding them. I expect that area to be have machines not exceeding 20A 220V circuits, where I would like to not fight cords. I foresee frequently using the overhead crane to move things between machine and bench. Any unplugging there would quickly get old. So I’m planning two boxes (8 total receptacles) there, and one in-floor box by the horizontal bandsaw as I foresee frequently hoisting stock into that.

Planning on a top-running bridge design, so your jib idea would work quite well for the larger 3phase machines since the only time the jib would interfere is if the hoist needs to pass through the jib. Those will be the larger machines, with more space around them, easy to navigate around those jibs.

Here’s the utility layout for the lot.
1A22A0F2-8044-4ED1-9D07-FA936F6E1B7C.jpeg

Back