New shop! (was: Multiple buildings, ...)

is capping with concrete normal?
I'm working under a driveway. Capping conduit with concrete is a common way to increase crush resistance, for say when a load dump truck or concrete truck drives over that spot. I would not want to put concrete directly around buried wire or pipe, as I believe it could crack and induce shear points with sharp edges on those lines. If I cap w/ concrete, I'll need to put the EPS over the concrete, I think I implied wrong above.

Everything I'm installing is "private", meaning it on my side of the utility demark. Generally gas lines on the utility side of the meter have a tracer wire. Power and phone don't need wire tracing. Water is not usually traced since the utility company puts the meter in the road right of way.

Ironically, here in Indiana, the county roads are not county property. They are a public right of way across private property. Fairly narrow right of way too, most of the right of ways are 30'. That usually means the pavement is maybe 15' wide.

Last edited:
I'm working under a driveway. Capping conduit with concrete is a common way to increase crush resistance, for say when a load dump truck or concrete truck drives over that spot. I would not want to put concrete directly around buried wire or pipe, as I believe it could crack and induce shear points with sharp edges on those lines. If I cap w/ concrete, I'll need to put the EPS over the concrete, I think I implied wrong above.
Makes sense for the driveway.
Everything I'm installing is "private", meaning it on my side of the utility demark. Generally gas lines on the utility side of the meter have a tracer wire. Power and phone don't need wire tracing. Water is not usually traced since the utility company puts the meter in the road right of way.
again, seems reasonable.
Ironically, here in Indiana, the county roads are not county property. They are a public right of way across private property. Fairly narrow right of way too, most of the right of ways are 30'. That usually means the pavement is maybe 15' wide.
That's way different than here or NY.

<snip That usually means the pavement is maybe 15' wide.

That activated my pucker switch. Reminds me of country lanes in England. Keeping track of turnouts was important.
Heaven forbid two semis try to pass. Do people commonly stop, on the shoulder, to let larger vehicles pass?

That activated my pucker switch. Reminds me of country lanes in England. Keeping track of turnouts was important.
Heaven forbid two semis try to pass. Do people commonly stop, on the shoulder, to let larger vehicles pass?
Yep, pretty much mandatory. Most people will pull over onto the edge of the road and slow just for two pickups to pass.

Reminds me of bicycling narrow roads in Ireland. Narrow roads certainly, but stone fences with thorny vines only two feet or so from the edge of the road.

I should add today’s real challenge was starting the pressure washer, which hadn’t been used in a few years. Even though I use fuel stabilizer, I had to pull the carb off and clean it out.

Yep, pretty much mandatory. Most people will pull over onto the edge of the road and slow just for two pickups to pass.

Reminds me of bicycling narrow roads in Ireland. Narrow roads certainly, but stone fences with thorny vines only two feet or so from the edge of the road.

Yes. After I posted the question about semis, I thought, "Wait a minute. Dully pick-ups are as wide as semis."

Most duallys run 96” wide. Most semi trailers are 102” now a day, as does my gooseneck flatbed. The real challenge is farm tractors and combines. We’re lucky to have hills and forest, but this area has plenty of 640 acre farm fields. So 12’ wide or wider ag equipment is common on the roads in October for harvesting. Most farmers are pretty polite, but sometimes you can get stuck behind on for several miles doing 20mph if they are inattentive. Some of the crop sprayers you could drive under in a car.

When I finish the new building I’ll have to rent a off-road heavy lift forklift or telehandler to move the 612 and the K&T. That’ll mean driving down the road about a 1/4 mile with a 12’ wide lathe :)

Last edited:
Got the buried power line exposed, tomorrow I can put the gas line, water line and fiber under that power line, and close it all up.

White pex in first picture trench will be buried air line between shops. Gas line, water line and fiber by the tractor front tire. The orange stake sticking out of the ground in line with the front edge of the tractor bucket marks where I have dug up the buried power line with the pressure washer. Makes a mucky mess of the clay. Professionally they use a large vacuum to suck the water out, like suction at the dentist on a heavy machinery scale. Second pic you can see the back of the meter panel in front of the bucket, and the new line for the shop sticking up out of the ground. The building to the left is the existing shop. I decided to throw the line in for compressed air between the shops since I was trenching most of the way there anyway.
CB71C3DE-A951-4CCD-9DE1-D18AFA42B6AB.jpegA060EE73-7B0A-4DE1-A380-BC5B9E820110.jpeg

Most duallys run 96” wide. Most semi trailers are 102” now a day, as does my gooseneck flatbed. The real challenge is farm tractors and combines. We’re lucky to have hills and forest, but this area has plenty of 640 acre farm fields. So 12’ wide or wider ag equipment is common on the roads in October for harvesting. Most farmers are pretty polite, but sometimes you can get stuck behind on for several miles doing 20mph if they are inattentive. Some of the crop sprayers you could drive under in a car.

When I finish the new building I’ll have to rent a off-road heavy lift forklift or telehandler to move the 612 and the K&T. That’ll mean driving down the road about a 1/4 mile with a 12’ wide lathe :)

96" or 102" seem awful similar at a closing speed of 60-80 MPH. :grin:

Use the forklift to put the machine(s) on your trailer and tow to the new shop. Some shuffling around to get the forklift to both locations but using the trailer sounds a lot safer to me. YMMV

Back