New shop! (was: Multiple buildings, ...)

@rabler How much if any separation do you have to maintain with that shared trench?
Also do you have to lay down caution tape in the trench?

if you are laying gas down in that trench, around here you require sand underneath and above before backfilling. They don't want any rocks piercing that hose.

@rabler How much if any separation do you have to maintain with that shared trench?
Also do you have to lay down caution tape in the trench?
Separation between what? Regardless, no requirements that I know of.

if you are laying gas down in that trench, around here you require sand underneath and above before backfilling. They don't want any rocks piercing that hose.
No rocks in the soil here, all clay.

My only reason to ask is because I'm curious. When I trenched my gas and electrical line in the same trench I had to separate the gas from the electrical 24". I also had to place caution tape along the gas line. My soil here is 100% sand.
Oh yeah, I also had to get permission from the masters at city hall to install a water softener. lol

My only reason to ask is because I'm curious. When I trenched my gas and electrical line in the same trench I had to separate the gas from the electrical 24". I also had to place caution tape along the gas line. My soil here is 100% sand.
Oh yeah, I also had to get permission from the masters at city hall to install a water softener. lol
The ONLY permitting and inspection process here is for septic tanks, unless you count the assessor's office. They come around every 2-3 years.

Here you would run them in separate trench, and run a tracer wire with the gas line. Mike

Oh yeah. I forgot about the tracer wire too.

Got the quote for upgrading the service from the power company. $925 to upgrade from 200A service to a 400A service. For that, they trench in the wire from the pole to the meter, including providing the wire, conduit, meter, and meter base. I was expecting at least twice that, so I'm pleased. The 400 amp service will go to an outdoor panel, two service disconnects 200A each, one for the existing house and outbuildings, and a second 200A service for the new shop. I'll still need to provide the panel, and everything after the meter.

They initially talked about needing to do an analysis on the lines and load, and wanted to know what machines (what HP) I was putting into the new shop that needed the upgrade. And if those motors started under load. I told them 10HP 3 phase motors using an RPC with a 20HP idler, no load at startup. That might have to go through engineering as we don't want the lights flickering. I told the line foreman that I was already running that setup 1/4 mile further down the road on a different drop. Oh, well in that case, it's working OK now so we'll just go ahead an approve that without an engineering review. You're only a mile away from the substation anyway.

Only catch is they are currently out of 400A meter bases, supply chain issues. So install date is TBD based on when they get those in. But construction hasn't started yet, so even a couple months is fine. I just need to pay up in the next 30 days to lock in that price.

Last edited:
That's really cheap. What is the monthly meter charge? Here it is $15.

Back