New shop! (was: Multiple buildings, ...)

Will this chip be able to do your RT FFT calculations with enough resolution fast enough?

I imagine it will. I had a Teensy microcontroller doing audio FFT pretty quickly several years ago.

FWIW, used an Adafruit M4 Feather Express to run continuous 1K floating point FFT's sampled at 30KHz. ADC sampling done via DMA. Sampling never stops. Pretty good for a $22 board. Made a radar chronograph using the M4 and a $3 Aliexpress doppler sensor. (And an analog front end that I had to make.) Was a fun project. There are a lot of capable boards out there.

Target start date for the construction crew pushed back from ”tentatively Jan 3rd” to “by end January“. (Six weeks). Power co still doesn’t have 400A meter bases in yet.

Finally got the 400A meter base in from the PowerCo today. MInor frustration, the local big box store, a Menards, carries electrical PVC conduit in 2" and 3". Code issues aside, shoving three 4/0 wires with a 2/0 ground (i.e., mobile home feeder) through a 2" conduit is a recipe for much anxiety, unless you have a really good sense of humour and lots of wire lube anyway. Unfortunately the two service disconnect panels I have go to 2 1/2" max pipe size for the conduit knockouts. I'll have to make the two hour round trip into Evansville tomorrow to Lowe's or HD to pick up some 2 1/2" conduit and fittings. For the link to from the meter to the first disconnect I used a sharpie and a jig saw, so it accomodates 3" PVC. Probably a NEC violation, but it'll work fine.

well, that's some progress. You need a trip out anyway. slow down and smell the roses, or manure.. whatever is along the way.

Some progress, I got the meter base and the two disconnects physically mounted. I need to run the conduits into the ground and bring the mobile home feeder up into the disconnects. The power co will deal with the meter side of the install. Temps are suppose to be below freezing for a high for the next few days so I'm less likely to be motivated to work on this, especially if we get rain/snow tonight as forecast, as the clay gets really nasty. I had to run to Menards, Lowe's, Home Depot, and the local hardware store to get enough conduit parts to put this all together. Apparently there is a real supply chain shortage for 2 1/2" PVC electrical conduit

On a more exciting front, the Amish contractor contacted me today to say they hope to start next Thursday.

IMG_4314.JPG

I empathize regarding the extended field trip to collect supplies. Did you have to endure the clerk that doesn't know what you're talking about but wastes excessive time offering completely inappropriate options? It happens to me fairly regularly, and I even provide visual aids (sometimes). I'm not comfortable living in the "third world". :bawling:

I had to go back to reply #39 to see the utility layout sketch. Please clarify, will the new meter replace the old meter? In other words, you will end up with one meter on the lot so the house and current (small) shop will be fed from one of the new 200A disconnects? Alternatively, the existing meter will remain to feed the house only and one new 200A disconnect will feed the current (small) shop only?

The crew shows up on the 27th? I hope you have unseasonably mild weather and the crew makes great progress.

that's great on them being able to start next Thurs.
I have experienced the PVC shortage myself. Went to both HD and Lowes and no 1 1/2 and 2 quite a few months ago. Was surprised at the price too. it had gone up by almost a 90%. Which shocked the hell out of me.

I empathize regarding the extended field trip to collect supplies. Did you have to endure the clerk that doesn't know what you're talking about but wastes excessive time offering completely inappropriate options? It happens to me fairly regularly, and I even provide visual aids (sometimes). I'm not comfortable living in the "third world". :bawling:

I had to go back to reply #39 to see the utility layout sketch. Please clarify, will the new meter replace the old meter? In other words, you will end up with one meter on the lot so the house and current (small) shop will be fed from one of the new 200A disconnects? Alternatively, the existing meter will remain to feed the house only and one new 200A disconnect will feed the current (small) shop only?

The crew shows up on the 27th? I hope you have unseasonably mild weather and the crew makes great progress.
I actually ran into a friend at Home Depot, so I chatted with him and his wife for a good 15 minutes, while one of the workers offered to check the computer and see if they had what I needed. No luck. Self checkout so didn't have to deal with the "did you find everything you need" at the checkout.

The old meter will get removed. The leftmost box in the picture above is for the meter. Happily it has dual lugs to allow easy connection to two service disconnects. The left disconnect (middle box) above will go to the new metalshop, the right disconnect to the connection point for the old meter which will cover the house and old shop. The old shop eventually becomes the just for woodworking. I'm referring to the new shop as "the metalshop" and the old shop as "the woodshop" in my mind.

My experience with this Amish group is once they start, they move pretty fast. They run something like 20 crews, and they have in-house sheet metal and wood beam building capability, so they don't start until they have all the materials in hand. In fact the local building supply lumber yard uses them as a metal supplier. I would expect next Thursday that if they do start, a truck will show up with ALL of the building materials except the concrete. A single crew works on one building at a time to completion.

Last edited:
Back