New smaller lathes (12x36 or 40) and mills ???

Dogdoc

Registered
Registered
Ok, I am a novice hobby machine tool user. I mainly do hobby gunsmithing and parts for some of my farm equipment. I currently have an Enco 110-2034 12x36 lathe with a Baldor USA motor. It is more accurate than I can be but I am just a beginner. I actually purchased this lathe new in about 2003 and used it for a few years then life got in the way and I am just now getting back into the hobby. I hope to learn much from this forum. While I am fine with my equipment for now, I am curious what brands or specific lathes or mills are considered good these days. I always read that one should buy some OLD American equipment but it may worn out or starved for parts or ,even more likely, be unavailable in a timely fashion. I think all the smaller lathes like I have are imports now? If so which ones are considered the good ones. I am thinking 5 or 6 thousand dollars but even without those constraints what are the so called well thought of brands? Thanks

Dogdoc

I read these posts about issues with mills other than Bridgeports or their clones, and am happy that I did not get anything smaller. It seems to me that basically all clones of Bridgeports are equivalent. If I'm wrong, I would appreciate some education?

It seems most like Precision Matthews brand machines. I have a Grizzly 12x22 lathe and a Grizzly round column mill that I’m pretty happy with. Old American machines are a romantic idea(in my opinion). Granted that doesn’t stop me from ogling them when others post pics. But from a technological standpoint, it’s hard for me to believe we haven’t surpassed whatever a person may consider the best old iron ever made. If I wanted something capable, with no repair required, I’d be looking at the two i mentioned. I know someone with an Acra that said he paid it off in the first 2 months of work I believe, which seems kinda like an endorsement. But there’s people making awesome stuff with just about every machine ever sold. I don’t think you could go wrong with any new machine. The more important consideration is what your purpose for it will be.

An old man told me that it ain't what the machine is, it's what the machinist makes it do.........
That bein said, I have a 12"x36" CM lathe and a CM R-30 mill-drill, as well as a CM 16 speed drill press
and have no issues makin what I want. I would like American iron but it's out of my reach finance wise........

Your Enco is entirely satisfactory, I wouldn't try to replace it unless you have a specific reason to do so.
Save your money for a nice used milling machine
M

There are no small high quality manual machines at <$6000,00 manufactured today, that marked perished in the 60's/70's and no highend manufacturer continued making such machines especially in the USA, Lagun, South Bend, Enco, Standard Modern and others are made in Taiwan or China.
The only manufacturer of small lathes and mills in the US that I am aware of is Haas and none are manual nor cost anywhere near 6 grand or less.

I think Standard Modern lathes are built in Canada, not Asia.

Ok, I am a novice hobby machine tool user. I mainly do hobby gunsmithing and parts for some of my farm equipment. I currently have an Enco 110-2034 12x36 lathe with a Baldor USA motor. It is more accurate than I can be but I am just a beginner. I actually purchased this lathe new in about 2003 and used it for a few years then life got in the way and I am just now getting back into the hobby. I hope to learn much from this forum. While I am fine with my equipment for now, I am curious what brands or specific lathes or mills are considered good these days. I always read that one should buy some OLD American equipment but it may worn out or starved for parts or ,even more likely, be unavailable in a timely fashion. I think all the smaller lathes like I have are imports now? If so which ones are considered the good ones. I am thinking 5 or 6 thousand dollars but even without those constraints what are the so called well thought of brands? Thanks

Dogdoc
If you haven't already done it there are a number of things to make your current lathe better(plus cheaper than buying a new unit):
-good quality VFD and inverter/vector duty motor
-collet chuck for precision and speed
-Beef up the stand,add extra weight to stand.
-balance drive pullys and replace with gates cogged belt
-If you can live w/out compound remove and put an indexed ,largest possible QCTP on crosslide
-many possibilities with toolholders(check past posts) and carbide inserts or hss.

Others will have more ideas.

the shop I learned the tool making trade had a enco lathe with a replaced motor. the motors just don't last long. I have a enco mill I bought new in 1999.. it is still going strong.

I went through this in 2017 and decided to get a G4003G and a G0730.
After 2 years (has it been that long?!?) I am still happy with both of these, and I certainly would not have wanted anything smaller.
Both have performed admirably and done everything I could have asked.
They have also taught me why bigger is better......

Back