New South Bend Lathe Rebuild Manual - 10L ,13

Re: New South Bend Lathe Rebuild Manual - 10L ,13",14.5",16"

Steve,

A stupid question for you:

Why did you stay away from wiring and VFD's for the most part? That is one of the most asked areas I have seen when people rebuild.

Thanks,

Nelson

Hey Nelson, Probably because I'm an "old school" nut for starters. My earliest South Bend was a model B and I never thought twice about rearranging the change gears or shifting the belt speed as needed. Just seemed natural to me so I've never even thought about moving to a VFD. I stayed away from all electrical and wiring instructions in the book due to the many variations plus the potential liability. Giving advice to others on electrical work requires a license where I live and I'm not a licensed electrician. It's the one area where someone could get hurt if they were not careful and my conscience would not allow that. Regards, Steve

Steve, I'm looking at your rebuild kits on e-bay and I have a quick question. My SB model is an 11" - 411 A circa 1939, which rebuild kit would be the closest, best guess, for my lathe? I know for sure I need the felt/spring for the spindle bearings and the wiper pads. I already ordered the "Capillary Oilers - South Bend Lathe 10", 13", 14", 16" but I want to make sure I'm moving in the right direction.

Thanks much,

-Ron

Back