New Surface Grinder

"Beautiful" Thanks.

I don't plan to over speed it at all, I do not have 3 phase power here so I have to get the VFD. I setup a VFD on the mill so I think I can do this, although the motor plate on the mill was more informative then the plate on the grinder.

"Misunderstanding your experience." Just to clarify, I have zero, zip, no experience with a surface grinder.
In fact, this is the first surface grinder I ever touched. This will be a big learning experience for me.

To be clear as well, I am also learning. I have a small Sanford 4x8 inch tabletop surface grinder now, and will be picking up a Sanford 8x12 in a few weeks, so I've been reading and studying like crazy.

I also run VFD's on other machines, which will be the same for your grinder. Mine is not as sensitive to exact HP setting etc, so I swap it with twist-locks from machine to machine. I also have a rotary phase converter sometimes.

I read this warning a few times on some threads I read here and elsewhere, to be careful with overspinning grinding wheels with VFD, so wanted to pass it along to you as clearly as people were posting it everywhere else! Makes sense. Apparently more important with vitrified wheels than others, but who wants to mess up these beautiful precise machines, or worse, ourselves?

Definitely keep us up to date when you get it going or to help get it going!

Bernie

VFD doesn't get here until next Tuesday. What kind did of VFD are you using? I wish I would have know there were less sensitive kinds.

I will definitely need help once I get it going... I have already started researching grinding wheels, grinding wheel hubs, etc... watching videos on YT.

I agree, I dont like the idea of over spinning my equipment, I setup the VFD on the mill so max rpm would be just like it was connected to 3 phase.
I figure if I take care of it, it should last the rest of my life.

And your grandson's. They are so handy, I have just a Delta Toolmaker, but it has three projects waiting for set-up, plus all those used lathe bits.

Here's an update. I got the VFD in and installed it. Powered it up and there was a wrr to the bearings. Not bad but noticeable. I pulled the spindle to inspect the bearings. The previous owner had told me he had just re greased them so I wanted to check. There are 4 angular contact bearings in tandem with a spring preload. The bearings are $220 each.

During dis assembly, I noticed the bearings were installed backwards. I corrected this, reassembled it and hoping the bearings were not trashed and spun it up again. Its almost silent. I will run it this way for a while and see how it does.

I have played around grinding some AR500 and it leaves a beautiful finish. So the learning begins.

I could clean out a corner of my shop for it if that helps?
-brino

Thanks but, I moved some stuff around and found a place last night.

I got it leveled with my machinists level, easiest machine i have ever leveled, it has built in leveling studs and came with feet for under them.

jmantee,

Congratulations!
I'm glad that it's found a new home and is setup and ready to go.
I hope you get many years use out of it.

-brino

I am excited, I just picked up a Parker Majestic No. 2 Surface grinder in what looks to be excellent shape.

I came with a 6x18 Walker Magnetic chuck.

$500.

You lucky Dog!!!
Great find!!!!

Back