New Surface Plate

Stand too? I hope you don't get arrested for grand theft... ;)

I have two cast iron plates, neither as large as yours. I recently got a 14 x 18" Brown & Sharpe surface plate for $60, but it needs to be scraped in again after sitting around for decades. At least it was protected from rust. Has a A.E.C. tag on it (Atomic Energy Commission.) Does not glow in the dark. :eek 2:

That makes me down right jealous :)

Did it come with a cert? If so how good is it? All academic of course, for most of us hobbyists I t doesn’t matter much

I never saw a certified cast iron surface plate, though maybe that was done decades ago, and maybe still at places like NASA.

It looks like it might be a Challenge brand surface plate. I purchased one of the same size with a similar stand from a shop that was downsizing last year for a similar price. They are still made and are quite expensive new. If I remember correctly a machine ground plate of that size sells new for a little over $3,750.00. A hand scraped one goes for a little over $4,200.00

http://www.challengeprecision.com/products/plates/threepoint.htm

If you do an advanced search on eBay you'll see there is a huge difference between what they sell for new and used. When I was looking I found some people asking near list price for a used stand and plate. When I went to the advanced search and included sold items I found they often go for around the price you paid. When surface plates get to this size they appeal to a limited audience. Most are sold locally since the cost of shipping is prohibitive. The plate weighs 475 lbs., and the stand another 100 lbs. or so. The shipping would in many cases be more costly than the merchandise.

Last edited:
Back