[4]

New Tig Day - Everlast Powertig 255 Ext (18 Pics)

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

coolidge

Active User
Registered
Gunrunner you need to order a set of these for the Z axis hand crank. Bill did you just spit coffee on your monitor? :rofl:

View attachment 253356

Attachments

Tony Wells

Platinum
Registered
Nice looking rig. You'll have to show us your learning process.

That ground clamp may grow on you. That's a very old, proven design. Looks a bit modernized, but not much. I put one on my TIG, and have them on both MIGs. I like em.

sgisler

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Sweet Coolidge!
I do like that ground clamp better than mine, (the cheap folded sheet metal type) thought about replacing it with that type.

Stan,
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Franko

Active User
I replaced both my welder's ground clamps with those. They seem better. If nothing else, they look old school and cool.

coolidge

Active User
Registered
LOL well maybe that ground clamp will grow on me, at first glance it looked old, I thought what did they find this out back of Jim's barn in a scrap bucket?

tertiaryjim

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Looks like a normal ground clamp to me.

The only hand amp control I've used had a sliding control.
To keep a steady arc length while using the same hand to slide the control was difficult for me.
The good thing about it was that once it was adjusted it stayed in position.

brino

Active User
My ground clamps are all the other type(cheap folded sheet metal). I have heard this type is better.

Congrats, I'm sure you'll be happy with that machine.

-brino

Silverbullet

Gold
Registered
Good luck with that baby ,sure looks like its a well made machine, using it will tell. Let us know I'm envious ,I want to get a tig too but , ya know money's tight. Have fun and make lots of good things.

tmarks11

Active User
Registered
Nice. Like the water cooler; wish I had one. Air cooled Torch + steel 1/4" plate = very hot hands after a brief amount of welding.

Where did you buy from?

RJSakowski

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
I have that ground clamp on my Miller Thunderbolt. It can carry a lot of current. It works OK on flats but not great on rounds. It tends to slip off at the slightest bump. I have gotten to the point of clamping a pair of vice grips to the work and attaching the clamp to the vice grips.

coolidge

Active User
Registered
tmarks11 I purchased it direct from Everlast. I had called just to ask a couple of questions. Then they offered me a $148 discount plus no sales tax plus free shipping, they pressed the trifecta of my 'buy it' buttons.

coolidge

Active User
Registered
I have that ground clamp on my Miller Thunderbolt. It can carry a lot of current. It works OK on flats but not great on rounds. It tends to slip off at the slightest bump. I have gotten to the point of clamping a pair of vice grips to the work and attaching the clamp to the vice grips.
That's what I was concerned with, the thing slipping. The clamp that came with my Lincoln has way more bite.

coolidge

Active User
Registered
Gunrunner you need to order a set of these for the Z axis hand crank. Bill did you just spit coffee on your monitor? :rofl:

View attachment 253356

coolidge

Active User
Registered

View attachment 253356

churchjw

Active User
Registered
If I ever get where I stop dipping my tungsten in the puddle it will be a happy day. The welder looks great.

zmotorsports

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Nice welder. I have seen some reviews on the Everlast and they appear to be a quality unit.

Couple of things you mentioned in your posts, first off, that ground clamp is about the best on the market. Much better than those cheap stamped steel ones. I have them on both my MIG and TIG setups and they provide a good ground connection.

Dipping the tungsten in the puddle will happen less and less as you progress with your time behind the hood. It helps to do a "dry run" on various joints prior to striking an arc as it will alert you to where you may have a potential contamination issue and may let you know where will be a good place to stop and re-start.

Folding up a glove works well but I would recommend in investing in a TIG Finger from Jody @ Welding Tips and Tricks (WeldMonger store). I have a couple of them and they work great. They also are slick enough that you can slide your hand along the joint and it doesn't catch like just using the glove. He has them available in XL size now and they are great for those of us with larger hands. His standard size I could barely get my pinky finger in.

I also like that torch mounted switch. I have the Miller version that is a rotating potentiometer that velcros to the torch handle for my Dynasty. I don't use it often but there are times when lying in a chassis and having no other option. For the most part I absolutely LOVE my cordless foot pedal and can usually find a way of propping it to use either a knee, elbow or some other extremety if my foot is unavailable.

Mike.

D

Deleted member 34477

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Exciting to get a new shop addition.

For the gas inlet, you could use a 90* fitting facing up.

Your flow meter is great upgrade as well.

Junior

Registered
the tig finger is a good idea but, you can also go to an auto part store and get a spark plug boot insulator and save a few bucks.

Franko

Active User
I have a couple of Jodie's Tig Fingers. I don't always have to use them, but when I do, they are great.

Everybody dips tungsten. You'll touch it with your rod, too. It takes a while. It takes a while for holding the nozzle over the hot weld for post flow to be automatic, too.

A good trick when you really screw up a tungsten (need to grind a quarter inch to get to clean material). Rather than grinding that much, clamp it in a vise just below the contamination and give it a tap with a small hammer (contaminated part up). It will snap off clean so you can grind a new point. It is much easier and better than trying to cut one.

coolidge

Active User
Registered
Franko I have been breaking tungsten's with a hammer but they sometimes shatter jagged with shards flying off. With the new diamond wheel grinder I don't believe grinding off the contamination will be an issue.

mike837go

Registered
Loved you description of going from MIG to TIG!

With TIG, you are part of the welding process. MIG is a glue gun.

melsdad

Active User
Registered
I have been reading reviews on the Everlast machines and am close to pulling the trigger on the 250ex model. Thanks for this thread!

By the way nice strong hand table you have there! That is also on my wish list.

D

Deleted member 18150

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Nice looking rig. If you go to the next size larger cup you can ride the weld and use the gas flow to push the impurities to the sides of your weld....If you use Thoriated Tungsten wear a dust mask when you touch up the tip....That grinding dust is real bad Juju.
When I weld Al and smoke the tip I just reverse the polarity and clean it on a piece of scrap.Just a quick one second arc should do.
If you do a lot of position welding the button on the torch head is a must.
*** usflagani.gif ***G*** usflagani.gif ***************

melsdad

Active User
Registered
So Coolidge how do you like the machine so far? I ended up ordering the 255ext with water cooler also. I also upgraded to a SSC foot pedal and a CK 20 series torch with superflex cables. My welder should be arriving on Monday 1-11-16. I am really excited to start TIG welding! Today I picked up my Argon cylinder from my LWS. I decided to go with the 300 size cylinder.

coolidge

Active User
Registered
Love the 255ext, it makes welding so easy. I did pitch the Everlast regulator/flow meter and hose and replaced it with an industry standard Radnor/Harris and hose from Airgas. The machine is pretty tall and long, the cooler is also a behemoth are you making your own welding cart? Pay VERY close attention to properly connecting the hoses on the water cooled torch the knuckleheads did not follow the industry standard color coding, I had coolant shooting out my Argon hose (face palm).

melsdad

Active User
Registered
Thats funny in the manual they tell you blow compressed air through the lines to make sure you hook them up properly. Why not just mark them properly from the start.

Brian

CraigB1960

New Member Liaison
How are your Everlast PowerTIG 255 EXT TIG's holding up? I am getting ready to pull the trigger on one. Also, I am pricing a 150 cf tank, I see one of you got the 300cf (large!) What cf/hour flow are you typically using?

melsdad

Active User
Registered
So far so good for me. I have burned about 5# of filler metal so far. The only issue I had was a fitting failure on one of my water lines. Noticed the line leaking one day. Never seen a fitting fail like this before. 0c57c38c8e9faf076c68dd6e5eb1c4cf.jpg

Brian

Attachments

CraigB1960

New Member Liaison
So far so good for me. I have burned about 5# of filler metal so far. The only issue I had was a fitting failure on one of my water lines. Noticed the line leaking one day. Never seen a fitting fail like this before. 0c57c38c8e9faf076c68dd6e5eb1c4cf.jpg

Brian
Brian, Thanks! I am torn between the Everlast 255 and the HTP 221. The Everlast is less and perhaps has more features.

Have you had your cover off of the welder? I'm curious how well built it is.

Attachments

[6]
[5] [7]