New Tig Day - Everlast Powertig 255 Ext (18 Pics)

tmarks11 I purchased it direct from Everlast. I had called just to ask a couple of questions. Then they offered me a $148 discount plus no sales tax plus free shipping, they pressed the trifecta of my 'buy it' buttons.

I have that ground clamp on my Miller Thunderbolt. It can carry a lot of current. It works OK on flats but not great on rounds. It tends to slip off at the slightest bump. I have gotten to the point of clamping a pair of vice grips to the work and attaching the clamp to the vice grips.

That's what I was concerned with, the thing slipping. The clamp that came with my Lincoln has way more bite.

If I ever get where I stop dipping my tungsten in the puddle it will be a happy day. The welder looks great.

Nice welder. I have seen some reviews on the Everlast and they appear to be a quality unit.

Couple of things you mentioned in your posts, first off, that ground clamp is about the best on the market. Much better than those cheap stamped steel ones. I have them on both my MIG and TIG setups and they provide a good ground connection.

Dipping the tungsten in the puddle will happen less and less as you progress with your time behind the hood. It helps to do a "dry run" on various joints prior to striking an arc as it will alert you to where you may have a potential contamination issue and may let you know where will be a good place to stop and re-start.

Folding up a glove works well but I would recommend in investing in a TIG Finger from Jody @ Welding Tips and Tricks (WeldMonger store). I have a couple of them and they work great. They also are slick enough that you can slide your hand along the joint and it doesn't catch like just using the glove. He has them available in XL size now and they are great for those of us with larger hands. His standard size I could barely get my pinky finger in.

I also like that torch mounted switch. I have the Miller version that is a rotating potentiometer that velcros to the torch handle for my Dynasty. I don't use it often but there are times when lying in a chassis and having no other option. For the most part I absolutely LOVE my cordless foot pedal and can usually find a way of propping it to use either a knee, elbow or some other extremety if my foot is unavailable.

Mike.

Exciting to get a new shop addition.

For the gas inlet, you could use a 90* fitting facing up.

Your flow meter is great upgrade as well.

the tig finger is a good idea but, you can also go to an auto part store and get a spark plug boot insulator and save a few bucks.

I have a couple of Jodie's Tig Fingers. I don't always have to use them, but when I do, they are great.

Everybody dips tungsten. You'll touch it with your rod, too. It takes a while. It takes a while for holding the nozzle over the hot weld for post flow to be automatic, too.

A good trick when you really screw up a tungsten (need to grind a quarter inch to get to clean material). Rather than grinding that much, clamp it in a vise just below the contamination and give it a tap with a small hammer (contaminated part up). It will snap off clean so you can grind a new point. It is much easier and better than trying to cut one.

Back