New To Forum And A 3 In 1

Any oil is better than none. As for the mill, there are a number of EP greases that would likely be suitable. Might try some sort of CV joint grease, or mix up some bearing grease and 90 wt so you'll have something that will flow slightly. Are the mill bearing immersed on the grease or is it a splash sort of arrangement?

As for Enco, Enco no longer exists. I'm saddened after having been a loyal customer for near 40 years.

I'm no engineer but judging by the way the mill drive shaft looks I would say at most a very small bit of splash would hit the bottom bearing. It wouldn't hit the top bearing being Atleast 12" above the bottom bearing. If you oiled it, it would drip down to the bottom bearing instantly.. Oil wouldn't hold in that bearing at all.

Also I've looked at the parts diagram of a smithy 1220 and its virtually identical. I have used it to help assembly my unit. That may help people visually with what I'm describing.

I'm no engineer but judging by the way the mill drive shaft looks I would say at most a very small bit of splash would hit the bottom bearing. It wouldn't hit the top bearing being Atleast 12" above the bottom bearing. If you oiled it, it would drip down to the bottom bearing instantly.. Oil wouldn't hold in that bearing at all.

Also I've looked at the parts diagram of a smithy 1220 and its virtually identical. I have used it to help assembly my unit. That may help people visually with what I'm describing.

Is there a seal beneath the bearing to retain the oil?

no oil seals at all, even in the parts diagram for the smithy there are no oil seals in this section and I don't see any seals on the machine anywhere actually. This drive shaft section is also not listed in any of the regular lubrication maintenance sections of the manual. So I'm going with a good high speed bearing grease. I tried it last night and it runs smooth. I can't see how it would be any different then bearings in a motorcycle, the seals are just to keep dirt and water out on a bike. Now on a lathe, it's enclosed and not traveling down the highway so I'd say the grease is pretty safe in there for a very long time haha.

no oil seals at all, even in the parts diagram for the smithy there are no oil seals in this section and I don't see any seals on the machine anywhere actually. This drive shaft section is also not listed in any of the regular lubrication maintenance sections of the manual. So I'm going with a good high speed bearing grease. I tried it last night and it runs smooth. I can't see how it would be any different then bearings in a motorcycle, the seals are just to keep dirt and water out on a bike. Now on a lathe, it's enclosed and not traveling down the highway so I'd say the grease is pretty safe in there for a very long time haha.

I know im quoting myself... haha. Here are some photos that show the lack of oil seals. A seal is not described at all in the parts list either.smithy knock off.jpg Smithy diagram.jpg

Posted a video of it running. Sorry the video is sideways! Machine sounds fantastic though. rebuilt (mostly) and found the right size belts at Auto value for cheap :D

Attachments

• Lathe.mp4
    22.9 MB · Views: 4
Back