[4]

New to forum and home machining

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

TonyRV2

Registered
Hi All. Just thought I'd post an intro of myself having just signed up for this forum and having also just purchased the PM-25MV mill with DRO from Precision Matthews. I just retired from teaching college electronics about a year ago, after 32 years in the classroom. I'm setting up shop mostly to make knives and the mill is going to be a welcome addition to my other machines. I do however look forward to finding other projects to use the mill with as well. In another life, about 40 years ago I use to install 1st generation DRO's and CNC aftermarket controls on machine shop equipment. Between doing that and taking a few machining courses I'd learned a lot and look forward to getting back into it. That's it in a nutshell. If you have any questions at all about electronics, just drop me a note. My expertise is primarily in industrial controls but I'd welcome questions about any area of electronics. If anyone is familiar with or doing anything with Arduino controllers, I'd be especially interested in hearing from you, especially as it pertains to applications in the shop. And if I have any questions regarding this mill, and I'm sure I will, I know where to go. ;-)

...Tony

T Bredehoft

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Welcome, Tony. After almost 30 years of Tool and Die work and then almsot 15 years of retirement, I bought on of Matt's PM25 mills, myself. Considering it's (size) limitations, I'm very happy with it. Most of what I do is in the 2 to 4 inch neighborhood, so I don't run into 'can't move' very often. I was self taught in M & G codes for early CNC conversions in the '80s, really enjoyed the work. Feel free to ask about mods to the PM25, there are several of us here who have done from X feed to 3 axis CNC on them.

TonyRV2

Registered
Thanks for the welcome. I haven't received the mill yet, just ordered it today, so I'm not sure what mods I may eventually want. For the low quantity of things that I'd produce, I'll probably just keep it manual...but there is something about automation that I just can't seem to avoid as far as the cool factor. lol....we'll see.

...Tony

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
Hello Tony, and welcome!

So I guess you'd know the difference between a class A, AB1, and AB2 amplifier (my first year in electronics was all about tubes...)? :)

I was a firmware engineer for 30 plus years and know microcontrollers pretty well, but have no experience with the Arduino controllers. Sorry.

I had a PM25 for years, but have since moved up a size or two. But there are a lot of folks here who own the latest models and can answer questions/offer help. This is a pretty good crowd we have here. :)

brino

Active User
Welcome Tony!

Your interests and experience will fit right in here.
Congrats on the new mill....you must feel like a kid with Christmas coming up.

-brino

Suzuki4evr

Registered
Welcome to H-M Tony. Enjoy your new toy.

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Hi Tony, welcome to the site. One of my current projects (but on the back burner) is a Arduino controlled dividing head for the milling machine. Still learning code and it's slow going for an old fa*t :cool:
Mark

Suzuki4evr

Registered
Hi Tony, welcome to the site. One of my current projects (but on the back burner) is a Arduino controlled dividing head for the milling machine. Still learning code and it's slow going for an old fa*t :cool:
Mark
What is a Arduino controled dividing head Mark......sounds very interesting. Are you going to post it on H-M as you progress?

Michael

markba633csi

Hi Michael- I guess it's also called an electronic 4th axis. There are numerous home-made examples on the web, in particular one early version by a guy named Chuck Fellows (Google him)
There's some tricky math involved to avoid rounding errors which is still over my head; still studying how it's done. I was never great at math but always liked electronics, ironically. Like a musician who can't read music (I recall someone named McCartney who is so afflicted)
Mark

7milesup

Welcome aboard Tony! I have a PM 833T and eventually would like to convert it to CNC. Looking forward to your contributions to this forum.

Silverbullet

Gold
Registered
Hi Tony welcome to the site, friends hang around here , no wrong questions exist. We help.

TonyRV2

Registered
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for the machine to arrive. Thank goodness though for 2 day delivery from Amazon...lots of tooling and such on the way to organize in the meantime. :)

JC54

Registered
Hello Tony, I am a keen Arduino fan they are such a versatile and relatively simple to understand platform. My latest project using an Arduino Pro Mini is a DRO on my antique lathe's cross-slide. It is made from a cheap Chinese digital vernier caliper and displays in metric and imperial on a 16X2 LCD screen. I have found it surprisingly accurate and a Godsend on a lathe with as much backlash as mine :dejected:. I think all included it priced at about £25.00, which is a lot cheaper than a bought one. I am adding a tachometer to it at the moment when I have time, got a couple of glitches in the programming.... and I suspect intermittent electrical noise problems. I have got all parts together for 3 axis DRO on my mill. Too many projects not enough time :boxed in:

TonyRV2

Registered
Nice project JC. Question...how did you pick up the signal off the caliper? Did it require any conditioning before sending it to the Arduino, which I'm assuming you've got programmed as a counter?

JC54

Registered
A lot of digital vernier calipers have a little socket under a cover to plug into a computer. These are usually 4 wire, the correct plugs appear to be unobtainable so take caliper apart and solder direct onto the connector pads. There is a lot of information on the internet with complete instructions and even Arduino programmes, (sketch) to read output. I basically used one of these programmers but altered it a bit to do what I wanted. One interesting thing we found was that the on/off switch on these calipers only turns off the display NOT the whole caliper. That explains why if you haven't used caliper for a while you may find battery flat. DRO is powered (1.4v) into "plug" no battery.
Tacho reads the impulses from an infrared transmitter/receiver LED. That part I had already done as a tacho for my old diesel camper-van.
I will look up some articles and post the URLs hopefully tomorrow

JC54

Registered
I have downloaded a pdf file to download forum that shows my "Simple Single Axis DRO" Hope this will be of interest to someone...:cower:

TonyRV2

Registered
Thanks! I'll have a look at it. Great project!

[6]
[5] [7]