New to forum and my Index Model 40

Rocket86

Registered
Registered
Hello all. I'm happy to have discovered this forum and have already learned from it. I've recently acquired an Index Model 40, delivered 3/31/1949. Overall it's in pretty decent shape and I'm going to be very happy with it I think. I don't have a lot of room and it fills the space nicely. Before I start using it I need to replace the spindle and quill bearings. I have a question for others here who may have done the same thing.

To replace the bearings I need to remove the bronze nut at the top of the head. It is shown in the attached picture. I made a tool with 2 tangs to engage the slots in the nut but have not been able to get it to move. I pulled the pulley off to get access to the nut for penetrating oil. I've tried heat, the head clamp bolt is loose, and still no movement. I'm waiting to hear back from W-I but wanted to see if anyone here had any suggestions.

Thanks very much for any help and a great forum.

IMG_1852.JPG

IMG_1861.JPG

IMG_1443.JPG

They are right hand threads, I confirmed that before starting. Maybe being in the NW for a long time has taken a toll. Thanks for the idea though.

I have a Index Model 40H. The bronze nut was difficult to remove. You might try cooling the bronze nut (dry ice)

welcome to the forum, nice old iron ya got there!

i'm not suggesting damaging the nut, but sometimes a solid impact anti-clockwise is the trick.

i have a few shafts in the field that use 1"bronze nuts to stainless shafts, that the nuts get locked up tight.
a few swings from behind the ear with a 4# drill hammer on the wrench, and the nuts come off.
i made a slug wrench for the really tough ones, you can too.
i made mine by modifying a combination wrench .
i cut off the open end and welded a slug of steel to the end.
the slug end is what you beat on.
it has 2 nice effects,
1 you get the impact from the hammer blow
2, you get the leverage of the wrench
the combination of the 2 forces is excellent for getting things moving.

another consideration is that the bronze threads may be deformed and locking up against the steel threads.

whatever the case, reducing the friction between the nut and the head would be a place to start.
there are many products to try, but if you have a couple days to wait, i found a mixture that works well
50-60%acetone/50-40%automatic transmission fluid.
the mixture is shaken and applied liberally to the zone you wanna free up.

DANGER WILL ROBINSON>>>>
the acetone may loosen paint, swell seals up, and is flammable,
but other than that it works like a champ! :cool 2:

whatever the case, reducing the friction between the nut and the head would be a place to start.
there are many products to try, but if you have a couple days to wait, i found a mixture that works well
50-60%acetone/50-40%automatic transmission fluid.
the mixture is shaken and applied liberally to the zone you wanna free up.

I have the time and I think I'll try this. Nothing has worked yet so I have nothing to loose. At this point if it doesn't come loose pretty easily I think I'll leave it alone and proceed. I have the quill out so it's not pressing to remove the nut. I'd love to put it in the lathe and make sure I have the deformation to the not all cleaned up before pressing a new bearing on. Thanks for the ideas.

Back