New to forum, new to me Rong Fu 30

The main problem is the gears get hung up on the end of the rack so either way I think at least loosening the crank box is in order.

Doh! Yup, now that I took a look, no teeth on the ends.

That wasn't bad at all, except for my severe lack of space to barely even move the hoist.

The head will not just drop down at first due to friction so I was easily able to lower the hoist a few inches, walk over and level the head so it drops and then repeat. Once the head is fully on the column lock the head, remove the crank and install the bracket from the top. We should have taken the crank off to remove the head as well... lesson learned but no damage done to the gears.

Now... I have to remove everything behind, above, and near the mill so I have free movement. These things sure take up a lot of space for being a 'small benchtop' mill.

I promised pics so I'll snap a few in a bit.

Here are a few pics of the almost assembled mill

Attachments

• IMG_20190716_232911 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20190716_232911 - Copy.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20190716_233101 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20190716_233101 - Copy.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20190716_233129 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20190716_233129 - Copy.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20190716_233723 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20190716_233723 - Copy.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20190716_233753 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20190716_233753 - Copy.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20190716_233922.jpg
    IMG_20190716_233922.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 78
Just went to the shop and measured the chip pan on my enco 105 (similar to a RF 30, the pan measures 23 " x 31" at the top lip. The lip is 3" from the machine frame in front and 4" from the back. I think the "Y" leadscrew wheel has something to do with this. The side are each 3.5 inches from the main frame . Failed to measure depth but guess 3" Welcome to the site.
Have a nice day
Ray

Thanks Ray. I was thinking about nesting two drip pans and seeing if that would work. It's only like $18 total for two of them.
Hmmm. Now that I think about it I have a dog crate pan that I will probably never use again. I'll have to dig it out and see.

Thanks Ray. I was thinking about nesting two drip pans and seeing if that would work. It's only like $18 total for two of them.
Hmmm. Now that I think about it I have a dog crate pan that I will probably never use again. I'll have to dig it out and see.
I have an old dog crate pan under my lathe....

The top of my Clausing lathe bench is plywood treated with "Verithane" on top of that is a rusty biscut/brownie pan that catches most of the chips.
Have a good day
Ray

Mine was my late father in laws one. I fitted a VFD and a 3 axis DRO from Aliexpress so it is on the quill as well, Both are well worth doing. the VFD allows me to run of 1pf, although that is not important as I have 3ph, but it is nice to alter speeds without changing the belt. The DRO is the best addition by far and saves so much time. I looked at fitting a power feed, but haven't been able to justify it.
Mine is a rare one with the power feed on the quill downfeed. I have only used it once when I was boring a worn casting to take a bronze Bush, but it worked a great and made it easy.
My father in law did a lot of work with it, and they are more capable than many people give them credit for.

Yeah, during my search I saw a couple with the power down feed but they were both too far away.
Someday I will find one locally at a reasonable price and then I can upgrade.
DRO is on my list to get fairly soon. I am seeing some pretty cheap options out there.

I have been sidetracked (sidelined?) by a medical issue but hopefully soon I can mess with the 3 phase motor.
I haven't even been able to fire up the stock motor yet and it is killing me.

Back