New To Forum With Old 1980s 3 In 1

Russell C of Idaho

Registered
Registered
Found this forum and have an old 3 in 1 I bought used in the late '90s for a project. It has sat covered for many years but I am intent on resurrecting and de-rusting it. Ran it to cut a groove for my son's 'water rocket launcher' and it worked great!

From ShopMaster's website it appears I have a 12-22TC but it could be a Smithy knock-off:

http://www.shopmasterusa.com/content/15-history-3-in-1-machine-cnc

Once I get at building my 18" gauge railroad around the property I plan to make parts for others and maybe I can then justify trading in the old machine on a new ShopMaster!

I think I actually bought it from ShopTask (as ShopMaster was then known) as I seem to remember it coming from Las Vegas and I also seem to recall they had a 'buy-back' policy for upgrades, hmmm....

Funny I can find every receipt for every tool I've bought since I was 16 but can't find the receipts for the lathe!

image.jpeg

Last edited:
:encourage: I cut more wood for pine cars for my kids, friends kids, Church kids than any other material on my Shoptask 1720. Not always the fastest cars, but they always looked awesome.

I made the kids sketch a picture, turn the cranks and spray the paint after lots of masking.

I started on a 5" gauge engine to use a 12v drill covered by a fake boiler and a deep cycle battery in the coal car. The scale matches the local live steam track, but their trains are real and above my time and skill.

Unfortunately my wife developed cancer and the parts are still on the work bench after 2 moves and 15 years. I may finish it for my grand daughter now.

Let me know how your project goes. Rockets and trains are noble projects that your kids will always remember.

Welcome both of you to the HM forums!!

Daryl
MN

Thank you all as it is neat to see such a good group of people and not have to explain the why I have machine tools. I fell in love machining castings for a power hacksaw 40+ years ago on a uni-mat 3 in 1 in jr. High school. Only kid in the school using this machine. I took machine shop so I could build my own tools, including a wood lathe, belt sander, tractor and snowblower parts for Dad and single acting oscillating cylinder crank shaft and flywheel that would run on compressed air or steam. I am hooked.

Looking for parts lists and manuals for the 12-22 TC. I got one awhile back and am trying to get it running again. Two big things are how the belts on the upper head are tensioned, (Nothing left there except one roller swinging free. A picture would help), and belt sizes for the whole machine. It only came with one belt and I'm not sure it is for this machine. Any help would be appreciated.

For questions about old machines contact JT at Shoptask@shoptask.com. I'm not sure but I think he designed all of the shopmaster machines. He or his wife Catherine are the only people I have dealt with since 2000 when I got my first machine. I recently traded my old machine in for the latest version. They have come a long way since the 12-22 TC.

Hi and welcome to the site, with a can do attitude there's not much you can't build as a machinist. Sounds like you're off to a good start. Lube your ole machine and start building. We're here if you need us.

Thank you all as it is neat to see such a good group of people and not have to explain the why I have machine tools. I fell in love machining castings for a power hacksaw 40+ years ago on a uni-mat 3 in 1 in jr. High school. Only kid in the school using this machine. I took machine shop so I could build my own tools, including a wood lathe, belt sander, tractor and snowblower parts for Dad and single acting oscillating cylinder crank shaft and flywheel that would run on compressed air or steam. I am hooked.
And a hi and welcome to you too.

Just gave a 17-22 to a friend, his Dad is a retired machinist. Needed room for a SB13. Would have kept it if the workshop was bigger.

Back