New to hobby and have a Mx 750 unboxed today

(1) In regard to grinding your own lathe tools ... you might want to look over this thread:
and see if the "samples" are still available.
(2) PM me your mailing address, and I'll send you a "welcome wagon package" with some decent-to-high quality HSS blanks and brazed carbide tool bits, 5/16", ⅜", ½". No cost to you.
kHPIM0107.jpg

Great minds think alike. I came very close to buying that model's cousin. (the one which had levers to adjust feed speed and direction on the front of the lathe). I liked the slightly larger size and the 1100 watt motor.
My biggest concern was the lack of information on web for that model. I decided instead to get a more customary "brand" of lathe, Sieg-family.

As for slap in the longitudal feed, most likely there is a "Gib" adjustment which will bring the gear on the handwheel into a tighter mesh with the feed thread. (i.e. make the half-nuts engage the threads on the feed shaft better, but don't go to far with this adjustment, as it can create too much friction). This should eliminate most the "slap" in the wheel. If you are NOT talking about slap when it is under feed, then you need to look at engagement between the pinion gear and the rack gear which runs parallel with the underside of the ways.

Almost none of these inexpensive lathes come from the factory perfectly tuned and adjusted, and some sweat equity with them is strongly merited. Once they are cleaned, deburred, and aligned, they can usually crank out good parts.

Hi Abody711. I bough the same lathe in June. I could not find much information on this lathe. I started a Facebook owners group on it if you would like to join. If your are on Facebook look for 8.7" Mini Lathes Owners. How are things going with your lathe? I'm hoping to turn my first dimensioned parts this weekend one mine.

I have determined that the wm201v is the small cousin of the mx750. I had issues from day one with mine. Turned out to be the control board. Once I replaced it with a different brand motherboard it cleared the issues. Been very happy since then. Will join group.

Hey there Abody-
I found your thread here after seeing the MX750 on ebay this am. How have things been going with your lathe? The specs and delivered price tough to beat when budget is limited.

Black Knight Custom, I couldn't find your Facebook group, is it still around?

Thanks-
Bunk

Try searching for 8.7 220mm in Facebook to find the group. I have done limited work on lathe. Life keeps interfering. But happy with lathe so far.

I have determined that the wm201v is the small cousin of the mx750. I had issues from day one with mine. Turned out to be the control board. Once I replaced it with a different brand motherboard it cleared the issues. Been very happy since then. Will join group.
Where did you source the control board? I've just been dealing with the ghosts with my MX-80.

Hey there Abody-
I found your thread here after seeing the MX750 on ebay this am. How have things been going with your lathe? The specs and delivered price tough to beat when budget is limited.

Black Knight Custom, I couldn't find your Facebook group, is it still around?

Thanks-
Bunk
Yes it is, we have over 300 members now. Here is the link https://www.facebook.com/groups/321245142239289

Attachments

• FB lathe group.PNG
    FB lathe group.PNG
    405.9 KB · Views: 109
Back