new to lathe work

Hi Alex, what kind of lathe work do you need help on?
mark

any tips to improve

I think anyone would suggest you loose the gloves. We all use our fingers to feel how the work is, hot, smooth, otherwise. Besides, gloves can get grabbed by the machine and take the hand where it shouldn't go.

When you were facing off on the far side of the work, were you running the spindle in reverse? It looked like it based on how
the chips were coming off the tool. Curious as to why.

Not only take a hand where it shouldn’t go, it can take a much larger chunk out the rest of you. Same goes for any loose clothing or long hair. We really want you to become good at everything your lathe has to offer and stay safe when doing so.

When you were facing off on the far side of the work, were you running the spindle in reverse? It looked like it based on how
the chips were coming off the tool. Curious as to why.
Using the compound to turn a taper with the spindle in reverse.
If you rotate the compound to turn a taper on the frontside you have to reach over the machine to turn the handle from the back, this is unpleasant at best.
This is excellent Machine Shop practice, this is the only method that I use when manually turning a taper.
In order to save time and tool changes use a right hand boring bar on the back with the spindle in reverse.

Thanks for clarifying that for me. Problem is, on my Logan I never run in reverse because I don't want to
spin the chuck off the spindle.

That sounds like a good idea, but I'm not sure how it could be accomplished with my lathe. The
surface where the chuck seats on the spindle is just a little proud of the face of the headstock,
so nothing to clamp to. I would have to be something inside the spindle that locked to the chuck
and spindle ID.

Back