New to machining with new mini lathe...

Welcome!

We could be twins. I'm also a woodworker, shooter, reloader and neophyte machinist. I have the same lathe you do and just added a used G0704 mill to my "shop".

I must admit my shop, while not a disaster area, is nowhere near that neat. Of course, I'm relegated to the basement and the garage so I'll use that as an excuse. :adore:

I am beyond blessed to have a detached 30x40 shop. We built the shop in 1994 when we bought the house. It was 100% automotive when I built it but has moved thru multiple hobbies. I began converting it to 2/3 wood working and 1/3 automotive/metal fab in 2000 and I'm still changing things around. lol..

Last edited:
Welcome to the Hobby-Machinist!

I am GREEN with envy of your shop space. Wow!

-brino

Wow. VERY nice! I'd just put in a porta-potty, a fridge and a microwave and the wife would never see me again! :D

I built a 24x48 garage with 4 overhead doors and partitioned off one bay as my woodworking shop. I made two mistakes in the process:

1. The classic "didn't build it big enough" mistake. If I'd gone 32 or even 28 deep it would be a LOT easier to get around with vehicles in the garage.

2. I didn't insulate and finish the walls and ceiling with an eye towards heating it some day. I could (with a little creative bookkeeping) manage to do that now, but there's so much crap hanging off the walls and all the door hardware blocking the ceiling trusses that it would be a HUGE PITA to do. Plus I'm no spring chicken any more and working above my shoulders is best avoided if at all possible.

Wow. VERY nice! I'd just put in a porta-potty, a fridge and a microwave and the wife would never see me again! :D

I built a 24x48 garage with 4 overhead doors and partitioned off one bay as my woodworking shop. I made two mistakes in the process:

1. The classic "didn't build it big enough" mistake. If I'd gone 32 or even 28 deep it would be a LOT easier to get around with vehicles in the garage.

2. I didn't insulate and finish the walls and ceiling with an eye towards heating it some day. I could (with a little creative bookkeeping) manage to do that now, but there's so much crap hanging off the walls and all the door hardware blocking the ceiling trusses that it would be a HUGE PITA to do. Plus I'm no spring chicken any more and working above my shoulders is best avoided if at all possible.

Thanks Paul! I do have a fridge. I also finished the inside of mine after it was built and it was a major pain but worth it. I hear ya on the 24’ depth. Ok for parking but tough if you are trying to work on anything.

Back