New to me 10L

Well,
I got the lathe home this weekend from my parents. Nothing like driving through Dallas traffic during Friday rush hour to refresh my trailer pulling skills.

Anyways, picking up the lathe from my parents house was uneventful as I had a tractor w/front end loader at my disposal. Unloading required a bit more creativity as I had an engine hoist, 2 furniture dollies and a friend to get the lathe off the trailer and into my garage. Mind you, my friend was a former TCU football player who still powerlifts, and working with him made me feel like I had the strength of a little girl. When I told him this he laughed and said working with me makes him feel like an ape since he believes engineers(me) are really smart. I didn't have the heart to tell him the truth :) .

I've started to clean up the lathe and removed all the surface rust from the surfaces. Here are few pictures of the lathe unloaded into the garage, general condition of the lathe and 1 curious onlooker who likes to turn all the knobs20190713_152909.jpg
20190715_202719.jpg20190715_202717.jpg
20190715_202723.jpg6568.jpeg.

Most unusual stand - I've never seen on like that on a SB. Is the top wood?

Most unusual stand - I've never seen on like that on a SB. Is the top wood?
It appears to be a custom built stand and yes the top is wood. Someone spent alot of time putting this together and working out the details for the spindle belt drive system.

I've been able to put some time taking apart the lathe over the last few days. I'm very pleased on the lack of wear this lathe has. I measured ~0.0001 of TIR on the ID spindle taper and about .0015" of bed wear. I was surprised to see this lathe had the integral cast bushing and not the brass ones. The bearing surfaces still appeared to have the factory surface finish/ polish. I didn't know heavy 10s came with this type of bushing until looking online
20190720_205802.jpg

Tonight I took apart the apron to remove the busted hand wheel. I had to do some deconstructive surgery to get it off. Unfortunately I had to cut off the shaft too since it was bent pretty bad. Luckily the apron appears undamaged

20190722_211339.jpg

Looks like this is a WWII lathe. Knowing this makes the lathe seem a little more valuable to me.

Does anyone know what the AN stamp means......army navy?20190726_210321.jpg

20190726_210245.jpg

Last edited:
Back