New To Me 1928 South Bend Junior 9"

Noticed there seemed to be some excessive play on the rear headstock bearing once I put some material in the chuck and had some lever action going. So I read up on the South Bend H4 bulletin on measuring and adjusting bearing play:
http://www.wswells.com/data/howto/H-4.pdf

Well someone has definitely been in there before messing with the shims. I followed the procedure called out in the literature.

Front / chuck side bearing was almost in-spec. 2-2.5 thou of play up/down.

Rear / change gear side was way out. 17 thou up/down.

Took the rear bearing cap off. Only one shim present, on the rear/rear position. Looked like a scrap of aluminum. 65 thou thick.

Front bearing cap had two shims. Front/rear shim was same aluminum shim, 65 thou as rear. Front/front shim was maybe copper, 24 thou thick.

Rear bearing cap actually looked better I think than the front. There are some dark spots shown in the photos on either side, but nothing that catches a fingernail. Not sure about the spindle itself, seems to be some scoring on it but again nothing catches the fingernail.

Rear cap:
rear3.jpg

rear6.jpg

rear1.jpg

The front bearing cap has some deeper gouges near the front where the threads of the spindle are near, probably takes a lot of the abuse of the loading of the lathe. Can barely catch a fingernail on these, but otherwise this was a tighter bearing cap.
front1.jpg
front6.jpg

One concern is that the caps have not been sitting level, I would think that the shims ought to be the same height front and rear.

The front seems like if I could just lap the aluminum shim down a thou or two that would get it back into spec.

The rear seems like I should start over with new shims and evenly distribute front/rear starting with some new laminated shims then test and adjust from there?

I've ordered an assortment of carbon steel shim stock up to 0.032" in varied thicknesses to play with.

Lastly I found some interesting information about the chuck. Independent three jaw chucks are pretty uncommon. The chuck is a Skinner No 605 and I found patent dates of 1891 on it. I found a reference in a 1911 catalog which calls it a combination chuck - a universal AND independent. There is a tiny knob/stud on the back I didn't know what it did. You can move it apparently to engage or disengage the universal scroll mechanism. It seems that chuck is even older than the lathe by a good bit possibly!

rear3.jpg

rear6.jpg

rear1.jpg

front1.jpg

front6.jpg

rear3.jpg

rear6.jpg

rear1.jpg

front1.jpg

front6.jpg

rear3.jpg

rear6.jpg

rear1.jpg

front1.jpg

front6.jpg

rear3.jpg

rear6.jpg

rear1.jpg

front1.jpg

front6.jpg

rear3.jpg

rear6.jpg

rear1.jpg

front1.jpg

front6.jpg

Wow, those bearings look much better than mine. I did have to go through the adjustment procedure for mine, too, but I had lost the shims when it came apart, and needed to manufacture some shims of my own. Got it fixed out. Let me know when you have that thing aligned, and post more videos!

Well I was able to get the bearings adjusted in. I took out all of the old shims and started over. Now both are at 1 thou clearance and spin freely.

I also cut the belt down, skived it and glued it back up. This allowed me to bring the lathe back against the wall closer and have clearance for the far right pulley step without rubbing the back gear shaft.

Then I made an adjuster for the belt tension by welding two nuts to the lower strut and using all thread so that I can push either side of the motor base up to fine tune. This seems to work really well. I also tested the back gear and luckily it runs smooth despite having a missing tooth.

20161204_201811%20(Medium).jpg

I got an MT3 dead center to fit in the headstock. I also won an Ebay auction for an assortment of lathe dogs.

Well I was able to get the bearings adjusted in. I took out all of the old shims and started over. Now both are at 1 thou clearance and spin freely.

I also cut the belt down, skived it and glued it back up. This allowed me to bring the lathe back against the wall closer and have clearance for the far right pulley step without rubbing the back gear shaft.

Then I made an adjuster for the belt tension by welding two nuts to the lower strut and using all thread so that I can push either side of the motor base up to fine tune. This seems to work really well. I also tested the back gear and luckily it runs smooth despite having a missing tooth.

View attachment 186082

I got an MT3 dead center to fit in the headstock. I also won an Ebay auction for an assortment of lathe dogs.
sorry I'm late but do you have or know, where I can get a pr. of those brass bushings and part number thanks the SB lathe I'm working on is a 02/20/1929, 9" swing x 4 1/2 bed, ser #41804, DPC 182-HS, CAT#382-R, trying to find out what my friend has and a parts manual, also retainers with wipers, thank you

Back