New to me 1967 Bridgeport 1 HP J Head step pulley, existing DRO question please.

chrispyny

Registered
Registered

I purchased a j head mill from saratoga county boces last week. Got it home and did some light cleaning on the table. Tossed all the 3 phase magnetic starter and switch stuff. Going to go vfd.

My mill came with older Acu-rite glass scales for the x and y axis, but no console. My question is, are these scales still good, and should i look on the used market for an older Acu-rite comsole to match up my scales with? I’d like to do this on a budget. The table is 9x32 and other than kids beating up the table, it seems the machinist/teacher took good care of the machine. Ways are gleaming with not much wear. The machine seems adjusted appropriately, the x axis has 5 tho backlash in the center of the table, and about 4 on each end of the table, and the y has 12 tho of backlash in the middle of the table, and 11 tho furthest in, and out. Seems,the tables ways arent worn much at all. It has a bijur l5r oiler installed. The machine came with some collets an original drawbar wrench, and a jacobs keyless chuck from 0-1/2’.

As far as the table is concerned, i’ll lightly stone it for now, but i do want to get it resurfaced, with what ever else is required to go along with that procedure.

I’m a restoration nut, and am in the middle of a 13’’ southbend lathe restoration. Another machine i got from an eastern ct vocational school. My SB was #28. It also saw little work, andmother than a couple chuck strikes on the compound rest, the machine is in great shape. Ways are gleaming.

Anyway, back to the mill. Once the southbend is done, i’ll do a 100% tear down and restore of the mill. For now, to get it running and to see what kind of machine i,have, i’ll wire up a vfd and see how,things sound and work.

So, is there a chance these old scales work? If so, should i try and find an older acu-rite console to match up with the scales and cross my fingers and hope for the best?

Thanks... !

I don't think there is a lot to go wrong with the scales. I suspect they work if you can find a compatible reader. You might try contacting the manufacturer, if they are still around, to see if they have something you can test it with. Or try to find one on ebay etc..

You might ask the touchDRO guys if they know of a way to test them. I think they have support for glass scales.

Pictures didn't work in my browser. My suggestion would be to purchase a new inexpensive DRO package for for $200-$250. Older scales may have a lower resolution and also the seals may have dried up with time. Also getting a replacement head unit, you are dealing with very old electronic components, and may or may not work. The newer DRO's have many additional features, so like bolt circles are much easier. I wouldn't take a chance on the older scales working with a newer head unit.

You may have to do a considerable amount of reverse engineering to reuse those scales, maybe not worth your time. I'm sure there is an old display out there on Ebay that would work with them, but what do you do if one scale is dead? If you are an electronics pro then go ahead, otherwise no
Mark

If it were me, I would would replace them with a ebay/aliexpress unit. Inexpensive and works well. And you might be able to reuse the mounting brackets and such.

If you have the budget, DRO pros gets good reviews as well.

Hi Guys,

The readout head is usually the common failure, which is probably why the scales are still there and the head is missing. However I agree with the previous posters, buy a new set, particularly since you are doing a refurb and without testing, there is no knowing if the old scales are OK.

Having done electronics my entire life, I'd try to find numbers and look up what they are first. I'd I like what I found, then look at eBay for a matching used one. From there depends on price except for me, I dislike knock off made in China stuff, avoid buying it. I would rather have used quality equipment.

I purchased a j head mill from saratoga county boces last week. Got it home and did some light cleaning on the table. Tossed all the 3 phase magnetic starter and switch stuff. Going to go vfd.

My mill came with older Acu-rite glass scales for the x and y axis, but no console. My question is, are these scales still good, and should i look on the used market for an older Acu-rite comsole to match up my scales with? I’d like to do this on a budget. The table is 9x32 and other than kids beating up the table, it seems the machinist/teacher took good care of the machine. Ways are gleaming with not much wear. The machine seems adjusted appropriately, the x axis has 5 tho backlash in the center of the table, and about 4 on each end of the table, and the y has 12 tho of backlash in the middle of the table, and 11 tho furthest in, and out. Seems,the tables ways arent worn much at all. It has a bijur l5r oiler installed. The machine came with some collets an original drawbar wrench, and a jacobs keyless chuck from 0-1/2’.

As far as the table is concerned, i’ll lightly stone it for now, but i do want to get it resurfaced, with what ever else is required to go along with that procedure.

I’m a restoration nut, and am in the middle of a 13’’ southbend lathe restoration. Another machine i got from an eastern ct vocational school. My SB was #28. It also saw little work, andmother than a couple chuck strikes on the compound rest, the machine is in great shape. Ways are gleaming.

Anyway, back to the mill. Once the southbend is done, i’ll do a 100% tear down and restore of the mill. For now, to get it running and to see what kind of machine i,have, i’ll wire up a vfd and see how,things sound and work.

So, is there a chance these old scales work? If so, should i try and find an older acu-rite console to match up with the scales and cross my fingers and hope for the best?

Thanks... !
Those are pretty ancient. I wouldn't try wasting money to find a console for them.

Back