New to me 5904

I have to make a spindle coller wrench to get chuck on it.

there's a guy on Practical Machinist that makes very nice (by all accounts) LO/L1 spindle spanners for reasonable money. Might be worth checking them out - check the Tooling section, I think that's where I've seen them.

Some should have just said "Hey dummy there's a key on the collet closer handle that unthreads the tube and collet" DOH!20200304_194659.jpg

That's one win. Thanks

there's a guy on Practical Machinist that makes very nice (by all accounts) LO/L1 spindle spanners for reasonable money. Might be worth checking them out - check the Tooling section, I think that's where I've seen them.

Thanks I'll check PM. The spindle nut is in rough shape. Someone has drilled newer 3/8 holes to make up the trashed original holes20200304_191653.jpg

Haven't seen that style for the 5C system, the collet closer handle should release the collet.

You technically you do not need to rewire for single phase. The manual indicated that two of the power input terminals are connected for single phase, so you could power L1 with one side of 230VAC and L2/L3 wires with the other side.

Haven't seen that style for the 5C system, the collet closer handle should release the collet.

You technically you do not need to rewire for single phase. The manual indicated that two of the power input terminals are connected for single phase, so you could power L1 with one side of 230VAC and L2/L3 wires with the other side.

Absolutely. That's my initial intension. By rewire I mean move the locaton of the VFD. It's mounted on the back left cabinet of the lathe. Not an optimal location for maintenance.

I disassemble some of the lathe. Found the gearing in good condition. Needs a cleaning and regrease. Found the clutch brake degraded. Anyone ever replace the brake material on these 5900's before? I'm considering using material from McMasterCarr. There is also a brake feature on the VFD. Not sure if the function is what I'm thinking it is though. More reading required. Found the motor loose also. Suprised that didn't contribute to some odd noise when I ran it. That will get aligned and tightened. Belts don't look terrible. 20200304_210500(0).jpg20200304_205000.jpg20200304_191600.jpg20200302_212743.jpg

This tool post I found labeled made in W Germany. Anyone have info on this? I emailed the company. No response back.

looks like a multifix to me. You can get holders for reasonable money from China or originals for a lot of money from eBay. Has a lot of pluses over the standard Aloris/ Dorian style, but holders are not easily DIYable and cost more than equivalent size AXA/BXA/CXA size holders.

Back