New to me 5904

Great input. Thank you. I was looking into the knock off multifix tool posts and found they are made and shipped from Wuhan, China. I'll probably wait a bit before I make a purchase. Just a slight precaution.
I work at a car assembly plant in Michigan. Lots of parts come from China. Our safety department reports that the Corona virus can only live on boxes and parts for 2 hours tops. No risk for contracting the virus.

You have some nice tooling with that Clausing. If the previous owner worked with Royal and Multi -fix, he probably knew how to take good care of his equipment.

I work at a car assembly plant in Michigan. Lots of parts come from China. Our safety department reports that the Corona virus can only live on boxes and parts for 2 hours tops. No risk for contracting the virus.

That's cool. I'd tell the head of your safety department to come on down and help throw some boxes then. Lol.

You have some nice tooling with that Clausing. If the previous owner worked with Royal and Multi -fix, he probably knew how to take good care of his equipment.

Thanks. I didn't get a warm and fuzzy feeling from the seller. It was a craigslist find. He wasn't very forthcoming with the history of the lathe. He stated he only had it 2 months. Got it from a friend who got it out of an auction. He had a broken down 5914 and this working 5904. Didn't make much sense to me but he had and I wanted. It has been great learning from everyone here. HM Rocks!

From what I've been reading, your safety dept might need to do a little more research.
They aren't sure right now if it's a few hours or several days on surfaces - which gets rather disconcerting.
There is a report out last couple of days that direct sunlight does kill it though.
So as @JimDawson did, leave it out in the sun.

The world is coming to an end but I'll be in my shop working on the lathe.. best place to socially distance myself in my opinion.
I've been sporadically working on the lathe. I changed the oil in the head stock. Mounted a chuck. Tightened up the motor mounts. Made a pin spanner. Generally cleaned and inspected the unit. I found a couple oil fittings broken. Waiting for those from McMasterCarr. I the key for the tail stock quill was extemely worn. Appears someone has already turned the key 180. Took a few minutes on the 8520 to make a new one. Last week I ordered a chuck wrench from McMasterCarr. I made sure to measure 3 times before ordering. The chuck wrench I ordered was 7/16. As Murphys law would have it, I received the wrench and it was .030 over. Fixed that. I changed the plug end on the VFD cord and removed one of the input wires to run 220v 1ph for input. Powered the VFD on and let it simmer for a few minutes. Powered up the lathe and Disney magic sparkled in my eyes. Now I know how my kids feel when they are glued to the telly. Ran the lathe through its gears, in and out of back gear, quick change, and speeds etc....
It's runs pretty well. No big issues. The VFD trips out on over current if you try to starting high speed in direct drive. The VFD doesn't have enough, being derated for 1ph input. But it works for now. That will give me time to source another VFD.20200319_143901.jpg20200319_142951.jpg20200319_143037.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great, something else I should check into on my lathe; it does have a bit of axial play in the TS...
Thanks for posting!

Great, something else I should check into on my lathe; it does have a bit of axial play in the TS...
Thanks for posting!

Yes it does. I didn't measure axial but I estimate a 16th. Rotational was horrible but easily tightened up with the new key.

Got some pieces/parts for align the head and tail stock. Set it all up and to a cutting tool it's dead on. This was sweet but short lived. I thought, I wonder what it looks like 90 degrees out. Set the dial on top and it's 0.042 in high on the tail stock. Question, should I care about this? My thought is Yes. It will throw off a center drill.....
Or am I getting wrapped around the spindle. I would believe that if I tried to center drill anything it would be high by .042 in. 20200321_155925.jpg

My only thought for repair would be to mill the tail stock down and shim it up to the center?

Back