New to me 5904

Glad that you found the root cause. It's usually better fixing those than compensating for them.

The crossfeed screw on the lathe was terribly jumpy and about as smooth sandpaper. I took the cross and compound apart to investigate. I found the cross feed screw pretty wipped, the bearings that support it and the taper attachment bad. The cross feed nut appears someone cut the nut and squeezed it in an etemped to take some play out of it. Cleaned everything with alcohol. The compound is in good condition. Just a clean and lube for it. Currently waiting on replacement parts from Clausing. Cleaned and lubed the multifix tool post also. I'm missing the metric lock handle for it. I've done some research and haven't found a replacement. Anybody have input as to finding one?20200404_095312.jpg20200404_095327.jpg20200404_095259.jpg20200404_095634.jpg

I’ve read through the 3 pages of posts.... and haven’t seen any mention of leveling the lathe. The lathe must be properly leveled before you start aligning TP or spindle. Even though it’s a 24”, it can have bed twist. Trust me, it makes a big difference. You can get by with just a 6” precision machinist level. No need for 2 levels... but you really must level it before you start messing with spindle/TP alignment.

I’ve read through the 3 pages of posts.... and haven’t seen any mention of leveling the lathe. The lathe must be properly leveled before you start aligning TP or spindle. Even though it’s a 24”, it can have bed twist. Trust me, it makes a big difference. You can get by with just a 6” precision machinist level. No need for 2 levels... but you really must level it before you start messing with spindle/TP alignment.

Your absolutely correct. I haven't leveled the lathe yet. I've been messing around with it in order to make sure the functionality of it is good. Also I have to make a home for it in my shop which is putting 10 lbs of stuff in a 5lb bag. I've been trying to layout my shop with a small machining spot, ie: lathe, mill, drill press, toolbox, bench. The shop is 28x36, one vehicle bay, gambrel roof, two story pole barn. It wasn't built with the intent for auto/machine/welding work so making it is challenging at times. One side I have set up with my weld, auto equipment and mill. The other side has the mower, compressor, snowplow, motorcycle lift, ect...
My thought with separating is getting grinding dust and crap all over the machines. Im getting covers for the machines but separating seems logical.
Ideally I need to add another building but that's another story.

Got around to working on the lathe again. While some are out of work. I'm in the middle of an outage at work. 6, 12 hour, night shift. For the past few weeks and the next few weeks.
I replaced the worn parts on the crossfeed. Works much better now. With .006" lash in the feed. Replaced all the felt wipers. 20200429_002645.jpg

When I took apart my compound to inspect and clean. I found some parts didn't add up and a missing gib screw. Upon inspection, the gib was to long so someone just left out the screw. I milled the end of the gib and purchased a new screw, missing thrust bearings, and plates. Parked my rear end on a bucket in front of the bench and started reassemble just to find the thrust bearings and plates don't fit in the bore of the compound....huh? Time to consult the manual.....
Before I disassembled the compound there was a nut between the handwheel and take up-sleeve..... this is not in the manual. Not sure where to go from here.... I reassembled the compound as was found. But it still has a bit of play from the missing thrust washers. Any body have some input?20200428_223956.jpg20200429_023821.jpg20200428_223934.jpg20200429_023904.jpg2020-04-29 02.42.59.png20200429_002946.jpg

Not sure what that nut is doing there, its not on mine. Only thing I can think of is maybe the leadscrew was replaced and the new one differs in dimensions so does not really fit correctly. You could probably get a drawing of the lead screw from clausing, or ask someone to take some measurements.

At some point I might want to redo my cross slide screw and nut, not sure I am quite ready and able it right now. Its probably best to buy a piece of premade leadscrew material and modify to fit.

Not sure what that nut is doing there, its not on mine. Only thing I can think of is maybe the leadscrew was replaced and the new one differs in dimensions so does not really fit correctly. You could probably get a drawing of the lead screw from clausing, or ask someone to take some measurements.

At some point I might want to redo my cross slide screw and nut, not sure I am quite ready and able it right now. Its probably best to buy a piece of premade leadscrew material and modify to fit.

Thanks for the support mach. If you happen to take apart your compound and remember this post, it would be great. No worries though, We'll get to the bottom of this. I contacted Clausing Service and Tom provided a drawing of the 704-033 tool post slide. I have to measure my slide. According to the drawing it is suppose to have a 5/8 radius. I know my compound slide is correct per my manual. It's embossed 704-034. I did find a manual for the 4900 10 inch lathes that depict the arrangement I have but it too is not exactly correct. The dial hub and tool post slide are different. I don't think anyone made a tool post slide as a replacement because mine is a cast part. The larger 14 inch 6900 series lathe has a different compound slide and tool post slide. So that rules out miss match there. I have considered milling the bore of my tool post slide but it would leave a .150" thickness at the top. That seems a bit thin and weak in my opinion.

Attachments

• 4900 lathe compound.pdf
    48.8 KB · Views: 4
I'm continuing my endless search for an answer to my dilemma. I measured my tool post slide and found it to be accurate to the drawing provided by Clausing. That leads me to believe both compound slide and tool post slide are correct per my manual. I speculate my dial hub (382-029) could be different as the mounting holes and bore for the compound screw are nicely aligned in plane. This causes the screw and nut not to be centered in the tool slide bore. Currently waiting to hear back from Clausing for and drawing.
If the drawing matches my part, I can only assume the thrust bearings and washers are at fault. Perhaps Clausing purchases these third party and a change has happened to their design...... Seems plausible. Such things have happened before. Flustered

Attachments

• 20200430_071330.jpg
    20200430_071330.jpg
    655 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200430_071434.jpg
    20200430_071434.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • 20200430_071728.jpg
    20200430_071728.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 20200430_072329.jpg
    20200430_072329.jpg