New to me 5904

Here are some pics of my compound setup on the 5914. The thrust washer packs are about 0.790" diameter by 0.172" thick (3 pieces: bearing plus 2 washers). There are 2 thrust bearing packs on my compound, on either side of the dial hub. The drawing at the bottom of post #67 seems to show the wrong stackup, with the 2 thrust packs all together.compound1.jpgcompound2.jpgcompound3.jpgcompound4.jpgcompound5.jpg

MACHPETE..... YOU ROCK!!! Thats a HUGE help. I found a youtube video from Tubalcain where he services his compound. His and your disassembly are identical. This leads me to believe the Clausing manual is incorrect also and my compound has been bastardized. Although the bearings still do not fit into my tool post slide. Granted, it appears they don't require a lot of depth into the slide. In the video I watched, Tubalcain's tool post slide appeared to be ground with a deburr to open the bore to except the diameter and thickness of the trust bearings. I too, might have to do this. More measuring to follow. I'll be in your debt forever MachPete. Thank you!

Maybe there was an older compound design that did not use the thrust bearings and that is what you have on yours. Mine does seem to be releived more above the leadscrew area. Note that one thrust washer is thinner than the rest and I think that goes against the outer surface of the dial hub plate.

You could be absolutely correct Pete. After a review of my parts and couple quick measurements, I believe my set up came from factory. My take up sleeve is longer and sits proud for the dial surface a few thousandths. This provides clearance for the dial to spin but, leaves no clearance for a thrust bearing stack. The bushing in my dial hub also has a shoulder which decreases the clearance on the other side for a thrust bearing. All these parts appear to be from the 4900 series lathes. Perhaps my 5904 is early in production and missed the design change. At this point, I could service the components and run with it, or turn down the sleeve, bushing and open the slide to accept the thrust bearings. Currently leaning toward service and run. I am considering reaming the tool post slide for a ball oiler in order to get better lubrication to the screw.20200502_180819.jpg20200502_180833.jpg20200502_180937.jpg

Attachments

• 4900 lathe compound.pdf
    48.8 KB · Views: 2
Last night, I was able to put the compound back together to as found condition. All the parts looked good. It now has .005 backlash. Tolerable for my use. The spindle brake was beat, so I had some material from McMasterCarr to glue onto the shoe. Currently drying. I replace the motor bearings and meggered the motor insulation. Cleaned the motor stand and installed the motor with new hardware. I received a new VFD from GoHz.com. Time will tell if it's a quality product. I also received a thread dial for the lathe now it feels more complete. Next Tuesday I'll get to start messing with the VFD. 20200506_035803.jpg

Looks good! I think your need for the spindle brake will diminish with the VFS in there. In fact you could eliminate the whole reeves setup if you want. I have a thread on how I did that on mine. I also have lots of parts leftover if you need anything.

Finally able to get the lathe running. Few weeks ago I got the VFD all wired in and operating. I placed the VFD under the chip pan. I think this will help keep the dust out of the unit. It's not an expensive unit as some I've seen. I did not wire in the clutch lever as it was before so now just the foward\reverse lever turn the lathe on. I wasn't able the figure out how to set up the VFD for the additional on\off input. Some day I will get back to that. I still have a list of things to do but at least it's running an usable to degree of precision. Many thanks to the members of HM. Few more questions though. With the VFD running the motor will it cut threads correctly? I'm a dummy as of right now. I have to get some learning in but a quick test the other day didn't work at all. Also I'm considering mounting the lathe up on square tube to make it a little more comfortable to operate, would this hinder anything as long as it's anchored?
Many thanksPXL_20210131_202430023.jpgPXL_20210131_202438104.jpgPXL_20210131_202514861.jpg

The VFD has nothing to do with thread cutting ability. Thread cutting only depends on the relative speed of the carriage travel to the spindle, which is controlled by the quick change gearbox.

Got it. Thanks Pete99. Since all gearing is through the head stock and sliding gear to operate the quick change, motor speed has no effect on thread cutting ability.
Currently I'm waiting for a live center to turn a hinge shaft for a hatch door operating mechanism in my shop (which is a barn). Helps to have the second floor stairwell closed off in the winter. I heat with solar collectors(wood). Also have to source some tube steel to raise the lathe.

Back