New to me and some VFD help needed

Poor John, you must be on overload with information by now - too much!!

I get the feeling you are on the right track and will probably be all right. At the risk of causing more confusion. I'll offer this picture of my Hitachi hook-up - it should be like yours - and point out where the wires go..

Along the bottom -- on the left are the 3 incoming 220v 1ph wires (L1 L2 & N) I put a 220v 20amp simple on/off toggle in this wire to turn power to the VD on and off. Next to them on the right are the 3 - now changed to 3ph wires (T1-2-3) going to the motor. If you only hook these wires up, the VFD will run the motor with the controls on the unit, but it will only run in one direction using the on/off buttons (which you can change by crossing any 2 of the L1-2-3 wires) To benefit of the many functions of the VFD, they have to be programmed into the unit and controlled with the top row of connections...

At the top, the 3 small wires (PCS - 1 & 2) are going to (in my case) an on-off-on switch that is reverse in down, off in center and fwd in up. I use the pot on the VFD panel to control my speed.

Hopefully a picture will help --- and my attempt at pulling from memory and explaining the connections are reasonably accurate....

misc006.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Turn, turn, turn, finally. Last weekend had to travel out of town for the funeral of a Army buddy and this weekend finally got things hooked up and applied power and the lathe is alive. Have the very basic program for FWD STOP REV done and the hooking up of a switch for this. Later also intend to program in and set up braking and hook up a E STOP. Now to finish a little bit of clean up and order some more BXA holders, and a few other things for this lathe and start on that long last of projects that have been put off. Next will be hooking up a VFD to Bridgeport number two and getting it running. Then get myself DRO's hooked up to a mill and then this lathe. Thanks all for your advice and patience. In a few weeks I will post some pics but next weekend I will be out trying to convince some deer to come stay in my freezer.

Back