New To Me Atlas 3996 12 X 36 Lathe

NI,
You are doing an absolutely beautiful job! Again, everyone thinks its just some cleaning then a coat of paint. I spent 5 hours and 35 miles on 4 trips to the local NAPA store today to try to get the proper fitting gates fractional HP belts. I am taking it in steps. Right now my lathe is up and running (not perfectly but running) I now have the ability to fabricate the needed lower counter shaft and bushings that I need. Once that counter shaft is rebuilt I should be finished with repairs.
Once all the repairs are done, I plan to pull the entire machine apart clean (again), strip, prime and repaint. The last thing I will need to do is replace all the belts with factory original and level the machine. I really don't see this project being completed till Spring. I just spent $100.00 on filling some LP tanks for temporary heat in my shop and that was for only two weeks of working.
Keep me posted on your progress....I have to adfmit, as much as I complain about the extra work I have had to do I have enjoyed every minuet spent in my shop.
Tim

EDIT...WOW, that sure is a nice chuck you have. Is it an 8 inch?

Ya its an 8" chuck. Its an original Atlas but its in great shape. The lathe was actually given to me by a friend that owns a machine shop. Somebody gave it to him and he never used it. Just sat and rusted. I actually have a BRAND NEW lathe bed on its way from Clausing right now. Clausing is discounting alot of old atlas parts and getting rid of them. I picked up a brand new bed just like mine with the 1/2" ways for 450 dollars. Its new old stock but freshly ground and never used. I'm going to resurface the saddle tomorrow at a friends machine shop to prep it for the new lathe bed. I'm basically wanting to build a better than new Atlas 12x36 lol. Beings i got the lathe for free and ALL of the bearings, VFD, Motors have been free though my work its enabled me to really invest alot more into this lathe than anyone normally would.

Anyways i'm hijacking this thread and thats pretty rude of me. Sorry OP. I'm really excited for you btw your lathe looks great man. I hope its working nicely also.

TLW - in case you're looking for a chuck like this one you can buy one here - http://www.mymachineshop.net/product_p/10119.htm

Here is today's update.. I came up with is a workable plan to rebuild the lower C'Shaft. With a little patience I located a pretty decent casting that also had very good bushings already installed for only $35.00 on e-bay. I ordered an 18" piece of TG&P Stressproof .750 rnd. bar. This will be enough material for 2 new C'Shafts. It will be a matter of cutting and facing them to length then milling the key-ways and I'll end up with 2 new C'Shafts. I can then install the new casting/bushings along with a shaft and have the lathe finished. Then, I can replace the bushings in the original casting, add a new shaft and someone will have an opportunity to have a fully rebuilt C'Shaft assy. for what it cost me in parts. Or if no one will be interested in it I'll keep it as a spare.

14 days later and the "Counter Shaft" issues are behind me! The worn casting, bushings and shaft have been replaced. So, that is everything except the motor replaced (all pulleys, belts, shafts, castings, bushings etc. etc. etc.) in the lower drive train, including the final drive belts. YEAH!
!
I actually finished that project about three days after my last post so I decided to turn a few parts that have been on the back burner way to long. While doing these parts I was not happy with the way the lathe was "handling"...kind of sloppy and in-accurate, just not a good feeling....well I did a little more investigating. Here is what I found.....EVERY nut (compound, cross feed and split) was worn beyond usable service. No other option but to order the set ($127.00) and replace them with brand new brass.

That brings us to this evening. I have now replaced all three nuts and am amazed with the difference they made in the lathes operation. It's a different machine and I'm tickled pink with the results. BUT, as usual, I found yet another issue.....believe it or not the jerk-off I bought the lathe from actually dropped a socket head cap screw into the apron hole so it would look like it was correct...The problem is that the screw is only 1/4" and no-where near the correct size. So, the entire time I thought the lathe was a little "off" it in fact only had one of the two screws holding the apron to the saddle! BUYER BE WARE! Don't be fooled by some "ass-hat" (in a wheel chair, no less) claiming that his pride and joy had been factory re-built and it has sat for the last ten years. I am not a young man but I have to admit to eating a little humble pie, I have been royally taken.....With all these guys just making a fast buck "flipping" lathes just be careful.

Tomorrow is another day. I think my next post will include a picture of all the parts I have taken off of this beast and replaced.
I am making real progress and I will have a very nice addition to my shop when this adventure is over...................more to come!

Back