New To Me Atlas MFC Project

rodm717

Registered
Registered
So i took a bit of a gamble on this machine uninspected from auction. It partly paid off. When I picked it up, I located the overram, reverse tumbler, and a multitude of gears. No covers or gear box for longitudal feed. The gears also may contain parts from a lathe. Ill post more pics. I tried to locate other parts, but the people on site were a little sketchy about me even looking in another direction from my lots. I can understand though, as my other mill was picked clean of it accessories as I couldn't pick it up for several days.
Other than ebay, where is source of parts? I also have a Rawyler F2. Interesting to compare.

20180420_161742.jpg

20180420_161750.jpg

20180420_161731.jpg

20180420_161729.jpg

Clausing still carries some new parts for the MFC, but they are costly. There is a guy who sells some shop-made parts: www.mymachineshop.net His are also costly.

Congratulations on the purchase. It looks like everything is there, minus the gear box and the overarm support. You don't really need the auto-feed, but you probably will want the overarm.

Last edited:
On second look, it appears the back gear is missing. That is another thing that you really need to have.

I have the overram, 1" horizontal arbor, as well as a box full of parts, including reverse tumbler. Ill post pics later so someone may help to distinguish what is for the mill and what is not. Still gathering info on this, so any help is appreciated.

There is a user's manual with parts drawings in the downloads section. I'm not sure if you can access it yet - I think there is a minimum post count required. Maybe one of the moderators can help.

I got the manual from Vintage Machinery. Although it is a bit faded and hard to discern some of the diagrams.

Here is the parts pile that I found in close proximity to mill. I'm partly thinking all those change gears may be to a Atlas 6".
Haven't began to cross reference yet.
I have benchtop vertical mill, a Delta 11" toolroom lathe and the Rawyler. If I can get info I should be able to reproduce most of what I would need gear train wise. Covers , I'll buy. I forgot to mention that i only paid about $300 after auction fees.
Honestly, If i use a vfd and get the back gear together this is enough for most needs. Eventually finding parts to do a full restoration would be icing on the cake. Also have a small gearhead motor that could easily be installed if i really wanted table feed. But, those of us with this vintage machine addiction know, i'll looking for / making the parts and not satisfied until its in original configuratiuon. Lol.

20180421_131736.jpg

20180421_131743.jpg

20180421_131750.jpg

20180421_131804.jpg

Last edited:
I'll be posting plenty more pics of this and the Craftsman bandsaw, er hacksaw if you want to get technical.

Last edited:
I just finished rebuilding an Atlas MFA horizontal mill. All the pieces in your last 4 pictures, with the exception of the 5 big gears, go to your mill. I am not sure about those 5 gears. There is a lot of crossover from the Lathes to the mills. I can vouch that the dust covers are the same. There is an exceptional video series on youtube by Ghostses that takes you through the teardown, and the the rebuild. I could not have done mine without his videos. Of course, mine was a pile of parts when I purchased it. And you are missing a bunch of parts, based on the pics you have posted so far. Good luck, I had fun doing mine!

Back