New to me baby, 847 Wells Index

Chainsaw Driver

Active User
Registered
Thought I'd share my new baby with the group. I bought a new to me 1963 version Wells Index mill. So far I really like her, still getting the parts ordered and electricity run so haven't made any chips yet but I'm getting there.

Attachments

• IMG_4698.JPG
    IMG_4698.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 76
'63, a relative young'un
I like the way they did the head castings on that one

Update: I got her cleaned up better and can read the stamps better, looks like 1981 model, not sure how I got 1963 out of 81 anyway she's got decades of oil and grime on her. Getting that off takes time. I removed the 6" riser block and she's a bit more manageable now. Still working my way through her, found the R8 alignment pin broke off so I'm trying to figure out how to get that apart. She also has a bit of tick on the top side and cannot tell what's causing it. Going to start pulling the upper head apart this evening. If anyone knows why it's ticking that would be great. I'm working my way along slowly.

Attachments

• IMG_4718.JPG
    IMG_4718.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 53
That could be something a simple as the belt taking a set from being in one place too long (years??)

I have a Wells also. They are a bit better built than the Bridgeport IMHO.

I found what's ticking but am uncertain what to do about it. There's a cam with a through bolt above the main drive pulley. The cam moves with the speed adjustment lever to apply varying pressure to the adjustable pulley. The bolt and cam do not appear to join tightly and as a consequence the cam piece moves back and forth against it's stops and creates the rattle. I didn't tear it al the way down yet but am considering doing so this weekend. I fell certain it should not be doing that. The this action will wear the parts out at some point. I didn't get to call Wells this week to ask about it but will do so next week.

I found what's ticking but am uncertain what to do about it.

turn the radio up :) then you won't hear it.

That may be what's behind speed adjustment on my Wells. It is rough to change speeds, so I just installed a VFD and quit moving the sheaves.

:)

If your lever is hard to move, just loosen the four screws at the top. They control the tension of the adjustment mechanism. When I got mine, the handle was so loose it wouldn't hold its setting and they had a wire on it to hold it in place. The manual addresses this issue and says to tighten the screws slightly, I did so and it works great. It sounds like yours is too tight. Manuals are available from Wells Index or on Vintage Machinery.org.

You will probably have to drop the quill and spindle to get to the pin, if it is done like a Bridgeport. Many mill users prefer to not have that pin operational in their mills. I am not one of them. It is faster and easier to change collets without it, but it also means that collets can spin in the spindle, and possibly damage it.

My Lagun has it’s pin removed before I purchased it. While like Bob I prefer to have it, the missing pin isn’t worth the work to put one in. I use mine a lot and haven’t really missed it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back