*new to me* bench drill press. Help me learn about it?

NC Rick

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hi folks, I was checking FB local tools this weekend and found an old drill press. I wanted a second smaller drill press for smaller holes and allow higher RPMs along with a nice sensitive feel. I didn't want to spend too much. I'm not sure if this new tool will do the job, I don't actually know anything about it besides it seemed a decent deal and is in nice shape for being older. I do have some noisy spindle bearings which I hope to repair. I just unloaded it tonight. Anyone know about these or could date it so I could research it more? No model number. Brand is Walker Turner and looks like before K&T was part of the company? Sorry about doing the vertical photo, I'm trying to not do that!
3E6E5CD2-E66B-46F7-8BD2-445C62F763BA.jpeg

I can't read the name plate but it looks like a Walker Turner. That is an odd color for a vintage machine. Is it really green or is it the fluorescent lighting.

It is a walker turner "Driver" and the tag states it uses SKF bearings. It almost looks like original paint? Yes it is a pale green If a little dirty.

There was a similar Walker Turner in the shop where I worked years ago so that got my curiosity up. Did a little poking around at Vintage Machinery org and it looks like Series 900 from around the late '30s. Maybe that will help with your quest.

Nice score! Clean her up, change the bearings and she'll good for another 80 years.
It sounds like bearings will be a problem to find. I can't get over the condition of the machine otherwise. Bad bearings are likely due to lack of maintenance. The fact that every fastener is in great condition is likely due to lack of maintenance.

i paid more than three times the new price, I may have been taken... :)

You have to love how they overbuilt the old stuff. It has more bearings than some modern mills.

Back