New to me Bridgeport and a question!

billd

Registered
Registered
Just traded my Tom Senior mill in on a 1989 Bridgeport series 1, 2J2 Vari Speed mill. As I had to get it into the back garden I had to completely disassemble it to enable its relocation. Also a very good opportunity to rebuild it and learn the mill from the ground up so to speak!

It was in reasonable condition other than the table, it is scared up more than I would like (9 X48). Replaced the drive belt, timing belt was OK, replaced the shive plastic bushings and keys. The only bad bearing was the knee support double row angular contact bearing so replaced it. The gib for the saddle is warn so will replace that once I've got it running as it's easy to do. The motor is 1-1/2 HP, 415volt 3 phase so switching over to a VFD 240 volt as I've done on my lathe. Re painted in an older Bridgeport green-grey colour rather than the later grey.

My question is what locates the quill skirt in position? It just seems to float around. I can see two tabs on one end but not sure how it is held in position. Any help with this would be appreciated.

Will post a picture or two once it's up and running.

Thanking you all in advance for your suggestions that may help me out.

Hello from across the pond! Isn’t there a tab on the skirt? Sorry, been to long since I had mine apart…Dave

As I recall... There should be two inward facing tabs on the skirt that slide in slots on the side of the quill. The tabs go down and are kept from leaving the top slots the by two retaining screws that also hold a felt washer and retainer.

You mentioned your saddle gib. A standard way of addressing wear there is to place a shim behind it (not on the way side). This will help take care of way and gib wear if the gib is sticking out the back side and/or you run out of travel on the adjustment screw. If you do decide to replace the gib, I believe they should be scrapped in to properly fit them, so this is something to consider.

Ted

Eddyde, you were absolutely right about what locates the Quill skirt although I didn't quite follow what you had said until I fumbled around with it a bit. The taps are slid in over the quill so they are closer to the tool holder end rather than the top of the quill. Once installed the two screws with the large flat washer type faces are then installed. The slot in the skirt faces the rear of the quill. The quill skirt does float around but is controlled by the two screws on the top of the quill and the allan bolt that secures the eye bolt for the auto stop mechanism at the front bottom edge of the skirt once installed.

In reading this over I suspect I've muddied the waters rather than clarified but wanted to try and help out the next guy that is unsure of the orientation of the quill skirt and what locates it.

Back