New to me Bridgeport

jduncan

Active User
Registered
When I picked up my Southbend lathe (see the welcome thread) the guy wanted me to take an old Bridgeport mill he had. It was either that or he would have sold it for scrap. I was reluctant at first but eventually the price was too good to turn down. We had a white knuckle ride home with the lathe and the mill on my trailer but it had a happy ending.

It has the M type head.

So now some pics:

IMG0335-L.jpg

Still on the trailer...

IMG0356-M.jpg

Serial number has it made in 1948.

IMG0365-L.jpg

The left side does have some wear. We took the cross slide off to move it inside the shop.

IMG0405-L.jpg

The power feed runs but doesn't move the slide.

Here it is at home:

IMG0399-L.jpg

It has a M2 taper. I think I can fix it up well enough to make it worth the $250 I spent on it. Are there any rebuild manuals available?

IMG0335-L.jpg

IMG0356-M.jpg

IMG0365-L.jpg

IMG0405-L.jpg

IMG0399-L.jpg

Treat it with respect that bugger might have made tanks for the Korean war. (police action) Many folks would love to have that. The fun has only begun. Good Luck
dickr

Beware - hijack ahead - i need to remove a'42" table from a Bridgeport. how difficlt is that to do?

thanks
Rick

Beware - hijack ahead - i need to remove a'42" table from a Bridgeport. how difficlt is that to do?

thanks
Rick
Very easy with two strong guys or an engine hoist. The book I linked above is priceless for this kind of info.

Last edited:
Back