New to me BusyBee benchtop mill

schor

Registered
Registered
Picked this up today. Been wanting a small benchtop mill for the shop. It's got an mt3 spindle. Came with a few things. Used an engine hoist to get it into the minivan and then had to table off the table and the motor to reduce weight, then a buddy dropped by and helped me get it into the shop on the bench.

IMG_00000210.jpgIMG_00000213.jpgIMG_00000215.jpg

I cleaned it up some

IMG_00000218.jpgIMG_00000219.jpg

I lubed whatever I could find to lube and fired it up. It ran pretty nice.

[video=youtube;wjm85y6mVjQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjm85y6mVjQ&feature=youtu.be[/video]

The gibs on the Y axis were very loose so I tightened that up but otherwise it was good. Next step is to align everything and then try it out.

IMG_00000210.jpg IMG_00000213.jpg IMG_00000215.jpg IMG_00000218.jpg IMG_00000219.jpg

Picked this up today. Been wanting a small benchtop mill for the shop. It's got an mt3 spindle. Came with a few things. Used an engine hoist to get it into the minivan and then had to table off the table and the motor to reduce weight, then a buddy dropped by and helped me get it into the shop on the bench.

View attachment 63773View attachment 63774View attachment 63775

I cleaned it up some

View attachment 63783View attachment 63784

I lubed whatever I could find to lube and fired it up. It ran pretty nice.

[video=youtube;wjm85y6mVjQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjm85y6mVjQ&feature=youtu.be[/video]

The gibs on the Y axis were very loose so I tightened that up but otherwise it was good. Next step is to align everything and then try it out.

Holy Crow Schor!! That's a Rusnok clone! Not the spindle taper, but the head style, and the base of the machine! No kidding!

I am a big Rusnok fan, and run a Rusnok Yahoo group. If you want any info or similar literature on that, let me know, I'll hook you up. I am sure much of it applies to your machine there.

I think you are better off with the MT3 collets. The table also has more slots than the original Rusnok. I would hope for you that the table has as nice a screw-double-nut setup for taking up the backlash.

What overarm diameter is that- 2 inch?
Nice, simple, solid machine!

Bernie

Wash down basically surfaces with wd40 and scrub with heavy scotchbrite to remove rust, heavy grime, etc. Then clean off with a wax and grease remover (acetone basically). Autosol on the chromed bits, columns, and anything shiny. Stoned down the table with my india stone and there you have it. It's in pretty good shape under the grime.

Looks brand new!

Thanks Bernie, I'll take whatever literature you have.

The dia is 2.5" and the main column is 3".

I was just looking at it and wondering how do I adjust the head to align it to the table? The head pivot point has the pin for 90, but I need to fine adjust it now. I'm out by at least .125 end to end on the table.

IMG_00000212.jpgIMG_00000211.jpg

Holy Crow Schor!! That's a Rusnok clone! Not the spindle taper, but the head style, and the base of the machine! No kidding!

I am a big Rusnok fan, and run a Rusnok Yahoo group. If you want any info or similar literature on that, let me know, I'll hook you up. I am sure much of it applies to your machine there.

I think you are better off with the MT3 collets. The table also has more slots than the original Rusnok. I would hope for you that the table has as nice a screw-double-nut setup for taking up the backlash.

What overarm diameter is that- 2 inch?
Nice, simple, solid machine!

Bernie

IMG_00000212.jpg IMG_00000211.jpg

Congrats. Looks like a nice addition to the shop...

Ray

Thanks Ray, I think it fills out the hobby shop nicely.

I found out it is a Busy Bee B240, its made in Taiwan, and there's not too much info out there on the web about them. The motor is date 1989.

Actually there is plastic. I am guessing the original belt access door got lost or broken and someone made one out of plexi and then screwed some hinges on it. But maybe it came that way originally?

Looks good, Steve.
Bet you can't wait to get busy with it.

That last pic you posted makes it look like a giant microscope.

Before I get busy on it I need to tram it. Right now it's out quite a bit. I cannot find any way to fine adjust the head so I am thinking I need to shim the table to get it trammed.

Anyone else know how to do it?

Back