[4]

New To Me Compact 5 for CNC

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

rodm717

Registered
I just picked up Compact 5 and am converting from manual to cnc. Craftsman, I believe, due to the all grey color and lack of emco badging. I picked up a original emco cnc cross slide, cnc cross slide ball screw and nut, cnc longitudinal ball screw and ball nut, cnc motor brackets, cnc belts, and two Keling nema 23 270 oz.in. 2.8a dual shaft steppers. I could not find two mxl 16t 050 pulleys , 1 source that had only one 11mm left, in the US. I have four 11mm coming from China, a Christmas present i guess, unless i find another US source.
I plan on using another 4 axis control to start. But, don't think i'm going to enjoy re configuring drives between a lathe and mill.
I'm sure it will have its own control in short order.

I needed to mod the chip pan to accommodate the bearing bracket for long screw and also notch out the factory iron at rear bearing housing.
Other than settling on tool holding, i hope to have this figured out soon.
There are a few nicks on ways that i need to address with a stone. For less than $1k net all in for a C5 cnc, i'm a happy guy.

If anyone has recommendations for OXA or other tool holding, i'd love to hear.

Attachments

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I believe Emco made a Compact 5 CNC version but it will be interesting to see how yours turns out!
Nice precise lathe
mark

rodm717

Registered
Yes, they did. That is where the parts are coming from, a cnc version. They are plug and play with manual c5 lathe. The chip tray, rear bearing block and a pocket for front bearing block need modded. Most people end up retrofitting controls , i.e, steppers, drivers and control board anyway.
The only thing missing, but not needed option is a turret tool post. They go for $600- $700.
This conversion is more cost effective than buying the cnc version in most cases. By quite a bit actually.

I have the lathe broken down and trying to figure out the best way to pocket front and model rear bearing blocks. The chip pan cutout was easy.
The front require a .06" deep pocket and rear a .87" slot. I could caveman it, but would prefer milling.

rodm717

Registered
I ended up milling the front bearing block .06" instead of pocketing mill iron. Then proceeded to mount cnc saddle and transfer punch hole locations for front and rear bearing block on bed. I positioned saddle, as close as possible, to each block during transfer operation for best alignment . Very happy with results so far.

rodm717

Registered
I ended up slotting front floating bearing bracket to ensure proper alignment. I also broke off one of the plastic mounting flanges operating long ballscrew with a drill. (Low speed, low speed). Which prompted a fix.
I designed and fabricated a bolster plate for ball nut to saddle connection utilizing the existing M4 points for attaching wiper and adding a optional hole for drilling a third mounting point in plastic. A lot faster than a new nut mount while improving the connection. M5 and M4 x 12mm screws.
Anyone interested, i can make more of these plates and may list a few on ebay. These plates are .25" thick and are machined on a cnc mill. These are stepped fit over and used in conjunction with stock wiper plate. Has an additional hole to drill and trap another mounting point in plastic.
The rear bearing block lines up, but unfortunately is not square. Off by about .025" Fully functional, but not perfect.

Attachments

Last edited:

rodm717

Registered
At this point waiting on mxl motor pulleys.
Hopefully arrive sooner rather than later.
I ordered 16t and 15t pulleys 11mm wide.
Worst case,I turn down flange for 1mm as the belt spec is 1/2".

[6]
[5] [7]