New To Me Compact 8 Cleanup Thread

According to my notes, the spindle nose is built to a DIN 55021 standard. This specifies a register taper of 7 degrees, 7 minutes, 30 seconds. If you use a non-Emco chuck, make sure it has this register in back. The studs might fit but the register may not.

Nice looking lathe and nice buy. I'd seen it on Craig's List for a while. I have a saved search for lathes within 200 miles of me just in case one shows up that I can't live without. :grin: Looking forward to following along with your renovation.

Nice looking lathe and nice buy. I'd seen it on Craig's List for a while. I have a saved search for lathes within 200 miles of me just in case one shows up that I can't live without. :grin: Looking forward to following along with your renovation.
Thanks Terry, glad to see a fellow Arkansan here :encourage:
I had seen it on there for a while too but couldn't tell much from the pictures. I'm glad I finally decided to go take a look at it. I knew once I felt how smoothly everything operated and how well it ran that it was going home with me! There is a nice little lathe under all the crud.

Got the tail stock done today...but I'm waiting on the paint to dry before I mess with it much more (don't want to move it around much trying to take a bunch of pictures while it is drying. I painted it in this stuff and used the recommended hardener with it: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...plement-oil-base-enamel-cub-cadet-yellow-1-qt
Not the exact same yellow but close enough for me :D
I didn't remove the old paint. I cleaned up the loose stuff and removed rusty spots. I don't have a lot of extra time to do this project because I need to get back to what I needed the lathe for in the first place so I'm not shooting for perfection here...not even close. I figured since it was going to be dissasembled anyway to service everything that a quick & dirty paint job wouldn't slow me down too much. If I need to do touch ups every once in a while, that will be OK.

Last edited:
I didn't paint it before I put it back together because I almost ditched the idea of painting it...had a change of heart after I had it put together so I just did a little masking and quick prep/paint.

I'm just getting started on the cleanup of the compound for the lathe and I knew it was going to be in worse shape than anything else on the lathe when I bought it. During the inspection I noticed that one of the corners was beaten off by a chuck I'm sure at some point. Still looked like I had plenty of surface area there so that should be OK. I also noticed two of the gib adjustment screws were going to be in need of replacing. What I didn't see was that the adjustment screws had pins under them that actually make contact with the gibs. One is missing and it didn't fall out when I was taking it apart so it was lost at some other point before I got it. I am including a picture of my manual with a pencil pointing at the missing pin. I can make a pin no problem. It is made of steel (magnet sticks to it). I also figured out that the tool holder stud had been replaced by a grade 8 bolt with the head shaved down for clearance reasons. It works fine and the factory roll pin contacts one of the flat sides of the hex head so it doesn't turn.
Cleaning up those parts now...

Yup, that pin is steel and has a point that fits into a hole in the gib. Simple to make and important to have.

The defect on the cross slide is not uncommon. Sad but hey, it happens.

You can either use what you have or make a new tool post; also simple to make.

Back