New to me Craftsmen Atlas 12X36

Farmass

Registered
Registered
Thought I would post it here too and hopefully get a little information. I bought it from a gentleman 92 years young. Everything seems to be tight and in perfect working order. Anyways the model number is 101.28970 with a serial number of 004624 Can anyone tell me what year it was produced?
lathe6.jpeglathe7.jpeglathe8.jpeglathe1.jpeglathe2.jpeglathe3.jpeglathe4.jpeglathe5.jpeg

lathe6.jpeg lathe7.jpeg lathe8.jpeg lathe1.jpeg lathe2.jpeg lathe3.jpeg lathe4.jpeg lathe5.jpeg

First production was more likely in 1958, based on Sears catalogs and their probable printing schecules. The Atlas 3991 (Craftsman 101.28970) was produced up into 1967 when it was replaced by the 3996 (Craftsman 101.28990). The only change known was that the pull-knob power cross-feed was replaced by a lever. Except for the knob instead of lever, your photos could be of my 3996, even to the heavier aftermarket 6" 3-jaw chuck. Very nice looking rig.

The casting date of the bed is in raised numerals on the back of the bed. If you can read it. Otherwise, the only other date actually on the machine is engraved into the two spindle bearings. But you have to pull the spindle to read them.

Robert D.

So Atlas made the Lathe?

When Sears had some real cool tools back in those days.

Jeff

So Atlas made the Lathe?

Jeff

Yes. Atlas made and Sears sold under the Craftsman badge 9", 6" and 12" lathes. Sears also sold Atlas made horizontal mills and shapers. And they sold the Atlas 1614 Universal Compound Vise. Atlas made drill presses but I'm not certain whether Sears sold them or not. Unfortunately, there's no clue in the Sears catalogs to who actually made anything. That information is in the machine model number. 101 means Atlas. 109 means AA and/or Dunlap (they also made 6" lathes that Sears sold). Prior to the Sears 1951 catalog, the catalog numbers bore no resemblance to the model numbers which makes using the catalogs to date-range the various lathe models difficult,

Robert D.

Looks good. I've got the same machine. Put a Aloris AXA or Phase 2 Aloris clone on it. Order the 3/8 turning kit with the indexible HSS from AR Warner. You'll be amazed at how much better your cuts will be compared to the original tool holders.

I agree with gi_984. I bought an Atlas 10x24 and dreaded having to set up the lamp post tool holder. Bought a QCTP and never looked back. Now it's a joy to use and more of a precision machine. Roger

First production was more likely in 1958, based on Sears catalogs and their probable printing schecules. The Atlas 3991 (Craftsman 101.28970) was produced up into 1967 when it was replaced by the 3996 (Craftsman 101.28990). The only change known was that the pull-knob power cross-feed was replaced by a lever. Except for the knob instead of lever, your photos could be of my 3996, even to the heavier aftermarket 6" 3-jaw chuck. Very nice looking rig.

The casting date of the bed is in raised numerals on the back of the bed. If you can read it. Otherwise, the only other date actually on the machine is engraved into the two spindle bearings. But you have to pull the spindle to read them.

Robert D.

On the back of the bed there are cast numbers of 058-016 Is that a date code 1958?? Or is it a part number? Also I had to take apart the lathe to get it into the basement and there is a 3/8" steel plate under the chip pan, would that be something the previous owner added?

Thanks
Fred

Back